05--Junior

O5—Junior 

As the lights flickered on, I detangled myself from Duke, whose arms had somehow wrapped around me during the movie. “The Princess and the Frog was much better,” I stated, tossing the cover off of me and grabbing another candy bar.

   He took the Snickers from my hand and opened it, taking a bit bite. “I disagree. I love guts, glory, and fast cars.”

   “You forgot boobs. There were a lot of boobs in there, too,” I added, snatching the sole remaining Kit Kat from the huge pile and tearing into it. 

   “How could I ever forget the boobs?” he replied sarcastically. “You know, there are more to women than boobs.”

   “Yeah, we have butt, too.”

   He shot me a look, one that was slightly amused and slightly confused. “Are you always this sarcastic when you first wake up?”

   “Usually I’m worse.” I grinned at him. “What can I say, Duke? You bring out the best in me.”

    He rolled his eyes at me, turning over so that he was laying on his back. “If that’s the best, then I’d hate to see the worst, Junior.”

   My smile grew, and I continued to munch on me Kit Kate. Duke wasn’t the Homeboy I thought he was. He had actually displayed characteristics other than being a play-boy that flirted his way to the top of everything. He was more than that great player with the competitive streak. Go figure. Duke was kind of, and I meant this in the slightest amount possible, growing on me. He wasn’t as bad as I thought he was.  “Babe, if you can’t handle me at my worst, then you sure don’t deserve me at my best,” I quoted.

   “Calm down, Marilyn Monroe.”

   I giggled, tossing my paper into the bag filled with empty candies that we had accumulated. My stomach was very much full, and I was definitely on my way to a sugar high. 

   Duke started to say something, but his phone buzzed. He sighed, answered a text, and looked at me. “So, you wanna go to Liam’s party?”

   With those eyes looking at me coupled with that full-lipped smile, I couldn’t say no.

*

“HOW WAS THE MOVIE?” Rena yelled over the loud music, grabbing my hands and spinning me around in a circle. For a minute, I thought she was drunk, but then I realized she just had a happy high. 

   “GREAT!” I yelled back, pulling her back into me. We were salsa-dancing to One Direction, and there were no cares in the world. “Would he say he’s in L-O-V-E, girl if it was me, then I would, I would!”

   She threw her head back and laughed, and we both continued to take over the dance floor. This was more like us in private. Wild, out there, uncaring. That was the main reason she was best friend—because we both loved the same music, and neither of us cared about what other people thought. 

   Oh, and neither one of us could actually dance.

   Rena was a Lifer—a best friend you held on to for life. We had even applied for the same college, except different majors. She wanted to be a CNA. I wanted to be a psychologist. We might not end up at the same college, but we were going to. School without my best friend? Nah, that wasn’t happening. And neither was a stupid boy named  Duke going to take up all the thoughts in my mind so I couldn’t chill with my best friend.

   Suddenly Chris appeared, standing behind Rena. She looked over her shoulder and smiled at him, but still danced with me. “One minute,” I saw her mouth.