12-Duke

Chapter 12—Duke

Junior, I don’t know why I feel like I should apologize to you. Our whole flirtation was based on a friendship. At least, that’s what we told people. Truth is, I think you’re an amazing friend, and I know the whole reason you became angry was because you were gonna lose the bet….. who am I kidding? The reason I’m apologizing is because I like you. At least, I want to fuck you, the whole thing with Crank notwithstanding…

      I erased that message as soon as I typed it. I came off as a dick. And then I was cocky. And then the last sentence wouldn’t attract her at all. Plus, she didn’t know about the Crank thing, and I needed it to stay that way. Instead, I resent her the eleven messages of ‘sorry’ last night, and typed up another message. It was shorter, simpler.

    I’m sorry again. Please forgive me. There’s a lot you don’t know. I need you as my friend.

    I pressed ‘send’ before I could change my mind. Truth was, I really did need her. Something about her sent the same passion through me I had been missing for the last year and a half. But it wasn’t happening. Not unless she was okay with me getting back at Crank by using her.

   I was sitting close to her, so when my message went through, I could feel it vibrate against my leg. She glanced down, reached into her pocket, saw my money, and then looked up at me with a really? look. I motioned for her to read it, but I didn’t want to see her face as she did, so I turned my head to Kyle coming sit down with some girl. She was pretty, olive skin and wild, dark curls on her shoulder. Obviously mixed like me. She was an inch or two shorter than him, and her smile was as wide as Texas.

   I vaguely saw Junior’s hands typing out a reply quickly as Kyle sat. “Hey, this is Honey. She’s new here and needed some friends.” By the smile on his face, I knew by ‘friends’, he meant ‘guy friend.’ Kyle wanted that. And I was not about to stop him.

    Junior lifted her head up, grinning. Chris and Rena were nowhere to be found yet, but Junior stuck her hand out. “Cori, but most people call me ‘Junior.’ Nice to meet ya.”

    Honey shook Junior’s hand excitedly. “Like he said, I’m Honey.” She had a thick accent.

    “Where’re you from?” Junior questioned.

    “Texas.” She smiled even wider, obviously proud of her state, and dimples appeared in the corner of her mouth. At one point, I would’ve put my charm on her. But I had girl problems already. My heart was back to hurting for Laila, and Junior wasn’t helping it all. Normally, I would have a hand around her waist, but I knew from the look on her face that if I touched her, I’d be missing a few body parts.

   “Sweet.” Junior motioned to me. “That’s Duke, Kyle’s best friend. Next to Kyle is Dante. Don’t mind him, he’s a butt and disses black girls.”

    Honey put a hand on her face and gasped, looking shocked. “Really?”

    Junior nodded seriously as Dante shot her a dark look before going back to his phone. “Yep. But I’ll cure him of that one day.” She winked.

    Dante gave her a look. “Never,” he vowed.

    She laughed. Honey looked at me and spoke. “And what about Duke?”

    “Oh, he’s in love with some girl,” Junior answered for me. Kyle looked up at me, and I pretended to ignore the burning in my face. Since when did I blush?