Chapter 8 - The Guilty Prankster Pt. 2

The sun was setting when they arrived at the inn. They still needed to gather a few more pieces of information before Syran could set up his trap, meaning they would have to wait for now.

The inn was small, but still held so much warm. It reminded Syran of his country home he would visit during the summers as a child. At least his company was better now than it had been back then. He was often the subject of torment for a certain bully he didn't want to remember. The country home had been located out in the Lori Mountains and was surrounded by fields of wild flowers on every side. It was one of the few places Syran still visited when he needed to escape for a few days.

Entering the small dining area, a barmaid told them dinner would be served in an hour. Cesare took the opportunity to go talk to the young girl, giving the poor thing his signature grin and boyish charm. Syran rolled his eyes but found a soft smile playing at the corners of his lips. He had indeed been livid when he saw Antoni's girl sprawled out on the ground with a dumbstruck look on her face, and even more so when he realized Cesare had concocted the imprudent prank, but he could not stay mad for long. Cesare had no ill intentions and Syran was well aware of that. If there was one person he trusted more than any other, it was Cesare. He just wished the damned fool would use his head sometimes!

Syran left Cesare in the bar area as he made his way upstairs to their room. He caught sight of Willem standing guard at the door. The young chevalier stood at attention when he noticed Syran approaching.

"How's the... situation?" Syran asked hesitantly, pulling his hood off his face.

"She is still sleeping, sir. Tacra is watching over her inside," Willem replied, motioning toward the door. Syran let out the breath he had been holding.

"Thank the Gods," he muttered under his breath. Willem smirked at him but said nothing. If there was one thing Syran seemed to be able to count on recently, it was that Antoni's girl either slept or argued. She didn't seem to have any modes in between, and if she was sleeping right now, it meant he wouldn't have to listen to her impertinence for at least a little while longer.

Syran gave Willem a serious look. "And what news from the town?" he asked.

"Iyes should be back shortly with that information," Willem said. As if on cue, Iyes' head of long auburn hair appeared at the end of the corridor. She approached them with the same blank expression she always wore. Syran nodded at her to speak.

"I found traces of magic residue at all of the afflicted locations. A few townspeople also said the majority of the kidnappings involved young girls with brunette hair. A handful of people have been arrested over the past few months, but the attacks continued to happen even when the suspects were taken into custody, so all were released eventually. It seems the general air of fright stems from the fact that the majority think the town is haunted," Iyes said, her monotone voice hushed to prevent any curious ears from listening.

Again, this was nothing Syran didn't already know. Although, there was one key fact that could be advantageous to them. Taking a piece of Iyes' hair, he held it up. For a fraction of a moment, her statuesque face faltered as her eyebrows disappeared under her bangs.

"Willem, what color is this?" he asked, turning to the red headed man.

"Eh," Willem started, his face turning the color of his own hair from being put under the spot light. "It's like a brownish red, I guess?" he finally replied, ending his analysis in a question rather than a statement.