Chapter 7 - Library Games Pt. 2

The cruel guard smiled wickedly down at Rowan. Rowan held no emotion on his face as he pretended his arms were still shackled behind him.

The guard pulled out Rowan's daggers and dangled them in front of him. Rowan's eyes narrowed at the man as if he was actually angry. Well, it was really nice of him to bring them all the way here, saving Rowan the time of having to look for them. Rowan assumed this was the 'good idea' of which the friendlier guard had spoken. Clever. Even if it did hinge on the fact that he would escape his chains in time.

"Looky here, sewer rat. The master let me borrow these just to have some fun with you," the man cackled.

Rowan smirked back up at him, as he often did when he was being taunted. It never failed to get under the weak-minded man's skin. "I love fun, makes me feel all... excited," Rowan shot back, breathing out the last word as he glanced down to the man's waist.

Pure disgust filled the man's face as he shoved the daggers at the young guard and opened the heavy iron door. "I'm going to beat you within an inch of your life," he spat, getting only inches from Rowan's face.

Rowan smiled even broader, bringing his hand around the man's throat faster than the bastard could even realize what had happened. "Is that so?" Rowan asked, squeezing harder as the man grasped at Rowan's vice grip.

Standing to his full height, Rowan lifted the man with him, his toes dangling dangerously off the floor as he struggled against Rowan.

Rowan felt the tension of the last few days course through him. The beatings, the taunting... fire burned through his veins as he slammed the man's head against the wall. Blood splattered in a halo of crimson as the man went limp in Rowan's hand.

Red stained Rowan's vision, but for the first time in days, it wasn't his own. Stepping out of the cell, the young man stared wide eyed at the gory scene before him. Rowan extended his hand toward him. As if snapping out of his trance, the young man quickly grabbed Rowan's hand, shaking it furiously, earning him a deep throated snarl from Rowan.

"I don't want to shake your damn hand. Give me my daggers, you buffoon."

The young man took a frightened step back and quickly handed over the daggers. Rowan nodded and began walking away. The fact that the boy was still alive was all the thank you Rowan was going to give him.

"Wait!" the young man called out. "Take me with you," he pleaded.

Rowan stopped to turn toward him. "No," he said, continuing.

"Please! I'm a good fighter!" the young guard pleaded.

Rowan ignored the boy as he made his way up the cellar stairwell. He had only one objective in mind and it may or may not involve the death of a certain nobleman.

"Go right here, Master," the young guard said cheerfully as Rowan came to a dead end in the hallway. Master?

Rowan silently turned right. He gave the young man a suspicious side glance, but the boy just smiled back. The boy's complete lack of emotions made Rowan curious, but he honestly didn't care enough to bother asking.

The young man navigated them through the maze of the mansion. Rowan noticed a distinct lack of security and made a point to mention it to the boy.

"Oh, yeah. The master, well I guess ex-master now, is spread pretty thin protecting his other assets since he tends to piss off everyone he meets. Plus, he doesn't think anyone would ever make it inside the mansion," the young man replied thoughtfully.