Chapter 7 - Library Games Pt. 1

Anastasia shuddered as she scanned the rows of books. Her encounter with the woman named Sabine the day before was something she would not soon forget. The very air turned cold when she had entered the room and her piercing russet eyes had cast a holding spell on Anastasia all on their own. No wonder the king was so arrogant. With a woman like that protecting him, none of his enemies could even get close! Refusing to think of him lest her rage boil over, Anastasia shook her head of the awful memory.

Since her would-be escape attempt, the king had ordered a round the clock babysitting service for her. At least one black armored soldier and four 'regular' soldiers. She still didn't quite know the difference, but she had managed to figure out the black signified a higher status and an obviously closer relationship with the king. She was determined to find out though, which is how she found herself in the castle library. What she had assumed was the library on her initial arrival was nothing compared to where she was now. Three floors of books stacked from floor to ceiling greeted her when her current babysitter, aka the woman who carried her off kicking and screaming on her first night, offered to bring her here.

She had learned the soldier's name was Tacra. She didn't talk much unless she was spoken too, but when she did, she was incredibly warm. Anastasia found herself really enjoying the woman's company, despite her situation.

Anastasia's first order of business in the library was to investigate the question that had been nagging at the back of her mind since the first day she arrived. What is a chev-yal-yay?

She had asked Tacra, but the soldier only gave her a sympathetic smile and said she had been ordered to stay silent on the matter. Anastasia had almost flown into a rage and marched herself down to the king's study right then but restrained herself. She wouldn't get any answers by going to that arrogant king. She would only end up leaving angrier than when she had walked in.

Anastasia searched bookshelf after bookshelf but found not even a single mention of the enigmatic chev-yal-yays! In a frustrated huff, she slammed the book she was reading shut and marched down the stairs to the first level. Tacra silently followed behind her.

A library this big had to have a catalog system. She just needed to find someone who could show her. Spotting a gangly young man with glasses and shaggy hair, she homed in on her target. He almost dropped the books he was carrying at her fast approach.

"Excuse me, sir. Do you work in this library?" she asked.

"Uh y-yes, miss. How can I help you?" he replied, putting the tall stack of books down on a table. For someone so scrawny, he could carry an impressive number of books.

"I am looking for information about Chev-yal-yays," she replied, still struggling to get the word out properly.

"Chevaliers?" he asked surprised, his eyes darting to the black armor clad woman standing next to Anastasia. Anastasia did not fail to notice the movement. Meanwhile, Tacra was busying herself by staring out the window, a small smile on her face. Anastasia followed her gaze. There was another black armor clad woman sparring in the courtyard below with some 'regular' soldiers.

"Oh, uhm, yes, certainly. Let me check the catalog for any books of that topic," the young man said, leading them toward a large desk. Tacra lingered at the window before following, Anastasia noticed.

Anastasia rocked on her heels as she patiently waited for the young man to finish searching. She watched as he casually flipped through several small cards and then flipped back through them in the opposite direction. His eyes grew wide and he visibly became nervous.