Chapter 6 - Complicated Misunderstandings Pt. 2

"Hey, wait!" Anastasia called out, running to catch up to the young girl.

The maid turned to look at her, surprise on her face when she realized who she was. "Oh, Miss, I wasn't expecting you," she said, bowing low.

"Oh no need for any of that, call me Asa," Anastasia replied, a smile on her face as she extended her hand.

The maid eyed her unsurely, but shook her hand anyway. "Well, Miss Asa, was there something you needed?"

Anastasia nodded eagerly, hoping this cockamamie plan would actually work. "Yes, actually. You see, I have this skin condition. I can only wear certain fabrics or my skin will chafe and it becomes quite painful, you see. And these clothes, as lovely as they are," she said, pulling at her tunic and trousers, "have been quite the nuisance. I was hoping I could get something like what you are wearing."

Anastasia gulped as the maid stared silently at her. Oh no, she had seen right through her. "Very well, Miss Asa, I will get a dress for you right away," she said thoughtfully. "I apologize about your skin condition, it sounds rather dreadful."

Anastasia balked silently at the girl. She had actually believed her. But she hadn't given Anastasia what she wanted just yet. She needed to push it a little farther. "Well, I just don't think I can stand one more minute in these clothes. I'll take whatever you have readily available. A maid's uniform, perhaps?" Anastasia asked as innocently as she could. Was that too direct? Well, she couldn't take it back now, it had already been said.

"I, uhm... okay," the maid said. She looked taken aback by Anastasia's odd request. The poor thing probably didn't know how to respond to a guest of the king asking for maid's clothing. Anastasia smiled to herself. She felt bad for tricking the girl, but her freedom and virtue were at stake. A small white lie was the price to pay for that.

The maid led Anastasia into a small building hidden behind the larger medical buildings on the edge of the castle grounds. Leading her into a small room, the girl rifled through what could hardly be considered a wardrobe before pulling out an outfit identical to what she was currently wearing. The room was plain and bare, with nothing but a small cot and a wardrobe. This room wouldn't have even comprised a third of the bathroom given to her in the guest suite.

"I hope it fits you, Miss. I don't have anything else," the girl said shyly as she gently placed the dress into Anastasia's hands. Anastasia felt a pang of guilt grip her heart. The maid hadn't just given her a simple maid's outfit, she had given Anastasia her very own clothes. Anastasia began second guessing her plan. This wasn't right. But what else could she do? Shaking her head, she began to undress, pulling the dress on swiftly. She gave a small twirl when she finally had it on and turned back to the girl, who was watching her with a small smile.

"It looks quite good on you, Miss Asa," the girl said, giving Anastasia a smile. It quickly faltered, however, as panic spread across her dimpled face.

"Oh no! I do not mean to say that you look like a maid! I simply meant that you look good in a dress. I'm so sorry, please forgive me, my lady," she said, bowing lowly to Anastasia.

Anastasia couldn't help but laugh at the girl's outburst. "Calm down! It's quite alright. I did not take any offense to your gracious compliment," Anastasia said, twirling one more time and striking a little pose.

The young maid laughed and walked to the door. "I am thankful, Miss Asa. I'm glad I was able to assist you, but I'm afraid I have to get back to my daily chores," she said as she opened the door to her little room.