Chapter 3 - Nature or Nurture? Pt. 2

The capital city of Gamliel was bustling with life. Anastasia took in all the sights before her with wide eyed fascination. She had never been in a city so large, and with so many people! There were shops of every kind, people buying and selling goods on the streets, children darting through legs and chasing each other, guards patrolling the city, and so much more. Pure excitement coursed through her as she stopped at different stalls to look at the various kinds of wares that were being sold. One stall, in particular, caught her eye. An old woman sat behind the wooden bench, working with wire and glittering glass beads to make beautifully colored jewelry. Anastasia stared down at the rainbow displayed before her as she gently lifted a rich sapphire colored glass pendant that looked like it held the entirety of the night sky within its borders. It reminded her of the countless nights she and Rowan would sneak out of the house to look up at the stars when they were children. Anastasia's smile faltered for a moment as she thought of him. Was he doing okay without her? Was he eating properly? Sleeping on time? She was so worried about him.

Anastasia was pulled out of her thoughts when the old woman behind the counter looked up at her with a warm smile, "That would look beautiful on you, my dear."

Anastasia blushed a bright pink, her hand floating to the simple chain around her neck. Even if she were to buy the beautiful pendant, she could not take off this accursed thing. She gave the woman a small smile and placed the pendant back on the table.

"Thank you, ma'am, but I do not have the money to buy something so beautiful," she replied, looking forlornly at the ground.

"Perhaps I can interest you in something a little cheaper then. It isn't quite as large, but it's the same design as that pendant," the woman said, her shaking fingers holding out a thin bracelet with the same starry glass bead adorning it.

Anastasia gently lifted the bracelet from the woman's hand and held it up to the light. It shimmered intensely, scattering bits of colored light onto the table.

"How much?" Anastasia found herself asking.

"Two copper Gam," the old woman replied warmly. Anastasia's eyes widened as she realized she did not have any money from this country. She placed the bracelet back on the table.

"I'm so sorry to have wasted your time, ma'am. But I only have Sasins," Anastasia replied, bowing her head to apologize.

"That is quite alright, dear. A copper piece is a copper piece, just as silver is silver and gold is gold," the woman replied, her greyed head disappearing under the table for just a moment as she pulled out a few copper pieces.

"Have you any silver coins? I will give you the change in Gam so you have something to trade with," the woman offered, a kind smile on her wrinkled face.

Anastasia was taken aback by the woman's kindness but was grateful nonetheless. "Uh, yes ma'am. Here you go," she said, handing the woman one silver Sasin.

Once they had exchanged the money, the old woman picked up the bracelet. "Hold out your wrist, dear," she said, her shaking hands opening the clasp. Anastasia did as she was told, and after a few attempts, the bracelet was finally fashioned to her arm, glittering prettily in the morning sun.

"Thank you so much, ma'am!" Anastasia said excitedly as she bowed low to the old woman.

The old woman chuckled. "Take care, dear," she said before turning to a young couple who had walked up to the table.

Anastasia turned her bracelet every which way as she smiled happily to herself. Gamliel was proving to be quite a lovely place!

Taking in a few more of the sights, Anastasia finally found herself in a large square. A grand fountain stood in the middle, spewing out crystal clear water in an extravagant display. She had never seen anything so lovely. Taking a moment to admire the water, she sat on the fountains' edge. She could feel the letter tucked away in her pocket crinkle as she sat. She ran her fingers over the fabric and sighed. She needed to stop playing tourist and find this man name Syran.