Chapter 1 - The Letters

Anastasia let out another muffled sob as she leaned closer to her dear friend. He wrapped his arm tighter around her shoulder, trying to still his own emotions as well. Night was setting and the stars were beginning to twinkle in the dusky sky. They had watched the funeral pyre burn for hours and were now staring at the hot embers of what used to be Antoni De Luca.

"You don't think he suffered, do you Rowan?" Anastasia asked through her tears. Her body shook with another wave of sobs as Rowan tried his best to comfort her. He ran his hand up and down her back, the other wiping away her tears.

"Shh, he wouldn't like you crying so much over him. The coroner said he died peacefully in his sleep, so don't fret. You need sleep too. Let's go home," Rowan said, gently pulling her up with him as he stood. His tall frame towered over her, and she looked even smaller as she bent her head to hide her crying face with her long, brown hair.

An idea struck Rowan as he helplessly watched her cry. Bending to one knee, he faced his back to her and held out his palms behind him.

"Hop on, princess," he said, a cheeky grin on his face.

"Rowan, we are not children anymore. I will not let you carry me like I am one," Anastasia huffed, her tears slowing.

"And that is precisely why you should! When we're old and rickety, we won't be able to do this anymore," he shot back at her with a smile brimming with pearly white teeth.

Anastasia sighed, a small smile playing at the corners of her own lips. She gingerly climbed onto his back and he stood to his full height. Anastasia let out a little squeak at how fast he stood, and then felt the low rumble of his laugh through her chest.

"Where to, my lady?" Rowan asked, his voice laced with sarcasm and humor.

"Onward to the castle, I say. And make haste! Lest we be late for the grand ball!" she said, giggling as she bucked her knees against his sides.

"As you wish, my lady!"

Anastasia let out another squeak and clamped her arms around Rowan tightly as he suddenly started to sprint toward the outskirts of their small village. She found herself smiling widely as she felt the wind through her hair. Her tears drying on her face as Rowan's long legs carried them to the fenced gate surrounding their meager little house. Anastasia felt panic rise as she realized Rowan was not slowing down. The gate was a few meters away, surely he was not thinking what she thought he was.

"Rowan!" she screamed in panic. Her only indication of a response was another low rumble through her chest as he glanced back at her with a sly grin.

"Don't you da-!" she screamed, her threat cut off by his sudden leap from the ground. She clamped her arms in a death grip around his neck as they went soaring over the low fence.

They came stumbling to a halt in the small front yard, as he dropped her gently to her feet. He was laughing like a madman at her disheveled hair and angry eyebrows. Walking back over to her, still laughing obnoxiously, he pushed his finger to her forehead.

"Keep scowling like that, Asa, and you are going to get wrinkles. Who will marry you then?" he said, his sapphire eyes twinkling under the moonlight.

She wanted to scowl some more but found her lips tugging up as she stared back at the stupidly sloppy grin on his face. "You scoundrel," she teased, punching him in the arm.

He didn't even wince, much to her dismay, as her fist was now throbbing. She didn't let him know she had hurt herself though as she walked to the door. He followed behind her, still rambling about how funny her face had been.