Chapter 43 - The Readings Of A Black Wizard

All he did was sit there quietly smirking at the lot of you. Suddenly he mentions the lack of communication with another member of Tartaros and he's back to talking to all of you patiently waiting.

Sting asked, "What... are you planning to do by erasing magic from the entire continent?"

"Oh... did I not tell you?" Mard Geer answered. "By taking magic away, the seal on END neutralizes too."

Natsu points out the book and your finally understanding the situation. No wonder why Natsu wanted the book.

"It looks like a book now but END is actually the strongest among the book of Zeref demons, the master of Tartaros if you may. And by reviving END, we may return to Zeref as well."

Rogue walked over to your side and stood in a defensive position, ready to protect you. "We won't let you. If you're so bent on going back, just go on your own."

Mard Geer then goes on to explain the demon's purpose and how they were all created to defeat Zeref. Zeref's final and most successful creation was END and the lack of magic in the continent will help release him.

"A fight to defeat Zeref?"

Sting starts getting cranky. "Why are you involving people in your business?"

Mard gracefully walks forward with his arms spread right out. "When you're going somewhere... do you purposely avoid stepping on weeds in your path?"

Sting actually starts growling, which you haven't seen him done since your first few missions with him. "You bastard..."

You actually haven't seen Rogue like this for a while either. You missed going on missions with them when you were younger.

Anytime you fought with them now it was because the world was ending.

What kind of outdoors time was that?

Mard Geer grows vines out of the ground and launches his attack at Sting and Rogue. They both get whipped backwards, causing both you and Natsu to shout after them.

"Sting!"

"Rogue!!"

Then suddenly both you and Natsu are getting hit by the same gonormous vine.

"What's this...?" Natsu shouts as he's getting thrown across the pavement.

You dig your fingers into the ground to stop on your own. Due to the halted stop the vines chase after you more. You've had to dodge each spiked plant and it wasn't easy the more they grew from the ground.

Then suddenly an even bigger spiked plant emerged from underneath. Mard and his wide spread arms showed it off beautifully. "The prison flower that blooms in Hades."

The large plant charges towards the both of you at a miraculous speed.

And then it's frozen in midair. Literally frozen by the touch of a bright purple ice cover.

"Ice...?"

Natsu suddenly has a scarf dropped onto him but then you and him look up and see the wizard who's responsible for the return of Natsu's scarf and the iced plant.

Gray Fullbuster, a very powerful wizard, stood in front of Natsu and and told him, "If it's important to you don't lose it again."

You couldn't help but notice a hidden tone beneath those words. There's a reason for his newfound power and it wasn't a quick learning pack of spells either.

Mard Geer's arm was covered in ice and Gray, with a very cool persona, tells him, "I've come to defeat you. I am a devil slayer."