Chapter 22

"I didn't expect you to be stopping by" My mother smiled looking back at me as we walked towards the living room and trust me, me either. I could already tell it was already going to be awkward. Been over six months and things weren't really patched up between us since the day of the vow renewal.

Maybe it was because of me, I did distance myself from her. For about a month or so, I stayed away from her because I felt she was really negative about everything in my love life. If my father didn't push me to speak to her, i'm not sure we would have spoken.

It started as just small talk and I made sure not to ever say anything about them around her but, occasionally my dad would ask about them but my response was very brief. It was like just like how I spoke about Jess- She's doing good, just saw her yesterday- That was it.

I could see her facial expressions, her try to change the subject or excuse herself. As I expected she wasn't going to get over it easy and surprisingly, I didn't care for it anymore. If she wasn't happy with it, it was fine but, there was one thing I needed her to understand and hopefully agree to for the sake of me and her relationship.

"I was in the neighborhood and decided to drop by" I shrugged walking into the living and sitting across from her on the couch. She smiled nodding "Does your father know you were coming? He said he would be out for a few" "No actually I wanted to speak to you alone..." I stated making her freeze up for a second.

She looked a bit surprised but, nodded smiling "Everything okay?" She asked and I nodded. "No things are great. Can't complain but, I just need to say something..." I took a deep breath biting my lip trying to think of how to say this without it coming off harsh or making the weak relationship we had already crash and burn.

"I... you know I love you and I'm grateful for everything you have done and given me. I wouldn't be the woman I am without you. You taught me how to be independent, strong ... pretty much everything I need to make life how I want it" She smiled nodding as I took a deep breath looking away from her. "I have and I've never been happier but, there are things that I feel are still not fixed" I explained and she nodded watching me.

"Demi and Harry..." I whispered watching her shift in her seat and her face drop a bit. "I know you don't agree with it or like it but, I need you to have at least a little respect for it. Whether or not you believe it's love, it's my relationship and it's not going anywhere" I stated and she sighed clenching her jaw. I knew she was ready to argue about this but, I wasn't here for it, I just needed her to understand.

Who really wants to have a shitty relationship with their mother, I didn't and since she didn't want to reach out herself and try to fix it, I would.

"Honestly, it's okay if you don't agree with three people in love. It's my life, my decision-" "Respect? How can I respect something like this that is based on just sex" he simply asked as if she was really concerned about it. She was just taking shots. I closed my eyes taking a deep breath. This wouldn't be my mother is she didn't say what exactly was on her mind. I respected it even if I didn't really like it all of the time.

"It isn't based on sex mom. Look... I'm not asking for your opinion on it, it's pretty clear though. Maybe that's too much right now but, I won't sit here and allow my relationship to be downplayed, disrespected or surrounded by negativity. That's all I've gotten from you since I even started dating, every guy you've done this to" I laughed remembering those moments, she never held back.

"I can understand those, but not them. Those two I won't allow to be treated anyway. I'm happy, I can't live without and soon we will make it official-" "How? It is illegal Skylar" "We will have a ceremony" I smiled showing her the ring excited. She looked at it quickly then looked back to me emotionless.