sept

"I'm guessing it went well?" Chris asked as I entered the room, all smiles. There was a  twinge of sarcasm in his voice, but I just rolled my eyes at him and threw myself down onto my bed.

"'Well' is an understatement," I gushed. "He's so sweet, Chris. He held the door for me and he held my hand and we had such good conversations- he watches anime! Can you believe it? Phil Lester, wow, he's just so...perfect."

"I know, " Chris replied, "so does the entire cheerleading squad." 

I shot him a glance, confused, but he wasn't looking at me. There was something unpleasant in his voice that almost sounded like jealousy. 

"Hey, what's up?" I asked, concerned. "Are you okay?" 

Chris let out a deep sigh and ran his fingers through his hair anxiously, "I'm fine, " he said, "Sorry. I'm just kind of distracted."

"Did something happen?" I asked, propping myself up on a stack of pillows.

"Not really. I mean, sort of. I guess."

"Wow. Informative," I replied sarcastically.

"PJ texted me. That's all."

I glanced at the baseball roster hanging on Chris' wall above his bed. "Isn't that good?"

"He, um... He doesn't want to see me anymore," Chris said, biting his lip. He was obviously trying not to look upset, but he was failing miserably. 

"What?" I was shocked. "That doesn't even make sense--"

"Yeah, tell me about it," Chris snapped. "Sorry," he sighed, "I just don't want to talk about this right now. Sorry." 

"It's okay," I reassured him. 

"I just want to go to bed I think. It's late."

It was only 10pm, but I didnt say anything about it. I just nodded. Chris crawled under his blankets facing the wall and put his headphones in, leaving me essentially alone. I undressed and slipped into a pair of sweatpants with my old high school's mascot printed on the side. I turned out the light to let Chris sleep as I slipped into the bathroom. 

My reflection stared back me from the tiny, cracked dorm mirror as I began to wipe my makeup off. I stared back at him, curls, brown eyes and all, and wondered what in the world Phil Lester possibly saw in me. I couldn't deny that I was smitten-I couldn't get the boy out of my mind- but I was confused about Phil. He seemed to be into me in a more-than-sex way, but he also seemed hesitant. I rolled my eyes as I wiped the last bit of foundation from my face. Why did things have to be so complicated? Or was I just making them complicated?

My thoughts slowly wandered from Phil to Chris. I knew I shouldn't, but I felt guilty for having such a good time with Phil. 

I brushed my teeth and returned to my bed, though I had no intention of sleeping yet. I pulled out my phone and had just begun scrolling through Twitter when it buzzed. 

My heart skipped a beat when I realized it was a text from Phil.

I had a really good time with you tonight:)

I felt my face flush.

me too :) we should do it again sometime

Yeah we should ;)

OH MY GOD 

I was definitely blushing now.

Seriously tho, we should hang out again soon he replied. 

definitely, I typed, but I hesitated to send it. 

I thought about Chris and PJ. Chris told me that they'd been seeing each other, at least casually, since their freshman year. And then PJ just broke it off with a text? I wanted to believe that Phil wanted more, but a little voice in the back of my mind was warning me not to get too attached.
I deleted the message and typed instead: hopefully. im really busy getting ready for auditions rn.

Oh :/ Well just let me know when ur free

ok

Goodnight, Dan Howell

Okay, now that was sweet.

goodnight phil

I sighed as I placed my phone on my bedside table. No matter what I told myself, I was falling for Phil, and fast. A part of me was annoyed at myself about that, but most of me spent the rest of the night dreaming about his sparkling blue eyes.