deux

"I have to say, I'm a little disappointed," Chris said as we walked up to the Tri-Delta house where the strobe lights and blaring music made it no secret that a back-to-school party was happening.

"Why's that?" I asked.

"I'm not gonna be the gayest one at the parties anymore," he mock-pouted, nudging me in the arm. He wasn't wrong: I'd spent an hour on my smoky eyes and perfectly winged eyeliner to make sure of that. I giggled my response, blushing a little in spite of myself.

"Follow me," Chris said, taking my hand and helping me wade through the crowd of already drunk frat boys in the yard. Upon entering the house, I could barely see a foot in front of me through the darkness, smoke, and shitty colored lights.

"Chris!"  A tall, curly-haired boy appeared out of nowhere, throwing an arm around Chris's shoulder, "I've been lookin' all over for you," the boy bit his lip, "Whaddaya say you an' me head upstairs and, uh-" he cut himself off in a fit of hiccups and giggles. Chris just rolled his eyes and smiled a knowing smile.

"Oh PJ," Chris sighed, "PJ, PJ, PJ." He ran is finger gingerly across PJ's jawline and continued, "You might be drunk enough to let me bend you over, but I am far too sober for your sleazy ass right now, Babe."

"Well, we'll have to do something about that, won't we?" PJ slurred with what I guess would have been a charming smile had he not been completely wasted. "Who's this?" he asked, acknowledging me for the first time.

"Dan," Chris said, "He's my new roommate."

"Freshman?" PJ asked and I nodded. "You're cute," he grinned, "Try not to get eaten alive tonight."

"Trust me, I'll take care of him," Chris said, shooting me a wink, "Now are you gonna get us drunk or what?"

"Ooh, I like your thinking," PJ smirked, "Come on." He led the two of us through a horde of drunk people grinding on each other to the kitchen in the very back of the house. "I got you," PJ winked at Chris, "And you," he nodded at me, "Just sit tight for a minute." We complied, each sitting at an empty bar stool at the kitchen counter.

"What's eating you?" Chris asked as we sat, and I realized my expression must have been forlorn.

"Nothing," I shrugged, "I really wanted to meet that guy, but I don't know how I'm going to find him in this mess."

"Lester?" Chris clarified. I nodded and Chris laughed, "Don't worry, if Peej's around, Phil isn't far behind."

"Here ya go!" PJ returned, handing each of us a red plastic cup with a blue liquid in it. Kool-Aid with-I took a sip-probably vodka. I hadn't been drunk since my high school graduation party, but it didn't take long for me to feel that familiar buzz in my head. Chris and PJ were talking, PJ leaning on the counter over Chris, their faces only inches apart. I couldn't really hear what they were saying, so I focused on drinking and watching half-naked drunk girls hit on athletes. My thoughts were starting to get pretty fuzzy as I was pulled from them by a familiar voice from behind me.

"Hey, Princess." I spun around, my eyes locking with a set of sharp blue ones, "Funny seeing you here," he said, taking a step toward me.

Of course: how had I not recognized him in the photo?

"Yeah," I said, my breath catching in my throat, "Crazy." Damn, he was gorgeous.

"Woah, you two know each other?" Chris asked, turning away from PJ to face us.

"We've met," the boy said, not taking his eyes off of me.

"I wouldn't say we know each other," I managed, biting my lower lip in spite of myself.