Chapter 33

April 10, 1865

After having gotten the confirmation of the ending of the Civil War, all the soldiers (both the Union and the Confederate) began packing their belongings. The army nurses, as well, packed their necessities and put down their tent. Although many of them were saddened by them departing from each other, the happiness from finally being able to go home took over. 

Within a couple of hours, the soldiers and army nurses were on their way home. There was a bus for people from each state. It took about a week to get from Appomattox, Virginia to New York City, where Alexander and Cassandra were from. 

A week later, the bus dropped off all the New Yorkers at a common stop and from there on out they were to reach home by their own means of transportation. Luckily, Alexander's parents sent him and his friends their horses with the help of a few relatives. 

"Should be an hour tops," Alexander called out to his friends after they got on their horses, "Oh!" he turned to see that he left Cassandra still standing on the ground, "My apologies," he mentioned as he held her waist and helped her up. 

"You really don't have to be so formal with me, Alexander," Cassandra mumbled to him once he got the horse to start walking. 

Alexander merely glanced at her and grinned, unsure of how to actually reply to her comment. 

About an hour later, they reached Alexander's parents' home. 

"Here we are," Alexander said barely above a whisper then noticed George and Fernando, "You fellows aren't going home?"

"Of course we are!" George chuckled, "We just thought it would be nice to stop by at your place and say hello to your folks."

Alexander then swiftly got off his horse and after helping his wife down he jogged over to the entrance of the house. Henry and Jenny followed along. Alexander took a deep breath and rang the doorbell.

Within a few seconds, his mother opened the door.

For a whole five seconds she just stared at her children. Immediately after she threw her arms around all of them. 

"My children are home! My children are home!" she yelled again and again as she embraced Alexander, Cassandra, Henry and Jenny. 

"Gabriella! What in the world is going on down there!" Harold, Alexander's father came rushing down the stairs, "Oh my boys! Jenny, my darling!" he embraced his sons and daughter for a long time then pulled away. 

"Mother, father," Alexander began softy, "Please forgive, for leaving you both too early. I...I was angry and I didn't even know what I was doing, I'm sorry."

"I was quite angry with you, son," Gabriella mentioned as she finished wiping her tears with her sleeve, "but once I came to knew that Cassandra and Jenny were joining the army nurse force, I felt somewhat...reassured, that you'd be safe...or at least happy, maybe."

 "Well, that makes me feel less guilty," Alexander joked and his parents chuckled along. 

"Oh hello, George, Fernando!" Gabriella and Harold waved to Alexander's friends.

Gabriella then stepped outside the doorway and called out, "You two must be Meredith and Lilly, right?" 

"Why, yes!" Meredith chirped up.

"How do you know, may I ask?" Lilly asked curiously.

"Why don't you two come in!" Harold motioned them into their house.

"Well...why not?" Meredith turned to Lilly, then they hopped off the horses they were sitting on and stepped into the house. 

Once Cassandra joined her sisters and followed them into the living room, the three of them froze in their spots then squealed in unison.

An Undecided Fateजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें