Chapter 4

It was time for the soldiers to depart from their homes for the upcoming battles - the set of battles that only God knew how long will last.

Alexander and Cassandra were leaving their new home, which they lived in only for a week so far, and they were going to part ways for a while...probably a long a while.

As he stepped out of the house, he took a deep breath and continued walking towards his horse...and was followed by Cassandra who was wearing a long beautiful brown dress with a small and simple hat that covered all of her hair except for her bun, that was neatly tied with a ribbon.

He got on the horse first and it was only an entire minute later did he realize that he had to help his wife up too. He picked her up by her waist and she placed her hands on his broad shoulders. Color was rising to her cheeks at the feeling of being held by him, but thankfully he didn't notice it - unlike that one night.

The ride to his parents' house was quite bumpy, so she had no choice but to hold onto him. Although she was too shy to, she didn't want to fall down either - if she did, she would have had to feel his hands on her even more; not that she hates it, but it's quite awkward especially if it comes to a man like Alexander.

"Sorry about the bumpy ride Cassandra, we're almost there," he assured her.

Normally that man wouldn't even apologize if something was totally his fault, but for something like this...?

This was just getting on Cassandra's nerves. Yet as much curiosity did his attitude bring to her, she feared the same amount of the consequences of simply asking him why.

He was just so abnormal.

"It's fine, I like riding horses very much actually," she replied to him.

"Do you?" he asked astonished, "why...I should have taken you on a ride with me at least once!"

Now he says this.

Wait, what in the world?

Did he just say that they should have gone out together?

This was not him, she was sure of it.

And that's what pushed her to actually ask him what in the world was going on.

"Alexander, I really am just curious," she started very nervously, "why are you acting so kind to me all of a sudden? Not that I don't like it, I actually really -"and she was roughly cut off.

The horse was pulled to a sudden stop.

Oh dear Lord, what have I done now!

"What is it with you Cassandra" he said, ever so quietly, which terrified poor Cassandra to death, "I can make changes if I want to. As I just made a good one, you are such a fool to not seem to appreciate this!"

Yet without her consent, more words came flying out of her mouth.

"All I asked was a question though!"

Stop Cassie stop!

"And if anyone needs to appreciate someone it's you!"

That may have went a bit too far.

"How dare you speak to me like that!" he yelled and before Cassandra knew it she was on the ground.

You asked for it Cassandra.

The man threw his wife off his horse.

He literary threw her, like a stick, off his horse...thankfully the horse wasn't very tall.

"All I wanted to do was to make you somewhat content about this marriage before I leave for war! Considering that we may not see each other again, I wanted our last moments together to be...pleasant," He said, and for some odd reason, his face has softened to level where he didn't even look like himself anymore.

What!?

He actually gave some thought about all that?

She'll never understand this man.

Cassandra just stared at him in shock.

She also realized that his eyes were teary...and then it struck her.

Was he going to miss her?