8.

At night is when the demons come out. All the regrets take over our bodies. The constant questions regarding every question we have faced in our lives just keep repeating. Nothing will be worse than what my mind goes through at night. I can be at peace the entire day but when the sun goes down I can hear the disappointment laced in my mother's words. I can hear the cries of my siblings. At night is when I question my life. At night is when my true self comes out and when the sun rises that's when I conceal every little bit of myself to make it seem that I am too good to be true. I am an illusion.

-

Cheryl and Lance finished putting their daughter to sleep and after a hard tiring day they were ready to part ways or at least Cheryl was. Throughout the day Lance kept a good look at Cheryl, in one day the woman can go through so many emotions. It doesn't help the fact that her Uncle is the head of the hospital either. It makes her mood swings go insane, but Lance understands just how Cheryl works. He always has.

"Night Lance." Cheryl was going towards the living room couch when the man stopped her.

"Why don't we have a chat for a bit. Catch up?"

"Do you have Corona on you?"

"Always." He smirked and that was Cheryl's cue to take him up on his offer.

Cheryl could always confide in Lance and he could always do the same. They weren't a normal former couple. Most exes forget each other but these two there's something that ties them to one another and it's not just because of their daughter. In between Cheryl and Lance is years worth of mistakes, secrets, tears and joy. They have shared everything with one another even before they became a couple it was always the two of them against the world and Cheryl couldn't be more thankful to have him as part of her support system.

"Lime?"

"Do you even need to ask?" Cheryl laughed as Lance dropped one in her drink.

"So tell me what's going on in your mind."

"What are you my mother?"

The two laughed since Joan Callahan was always the punchline for their jokes back when they were younger.

"I'm not here to change you there's a difference. Now come on."

Cheryl took a sip of her beer and laughed bitterly. "Where do I start? From my betraying friend or the Uncle I ran away from?"

"Anywhere would be nice."

"I can't believe Violet. Is trust really that hard to keep? She knew just how bad mam can get. She has seen what she's capable of. I reckon mam gave her something to spill. Violet would never do that you know? At least the Violet I knew."

Lance sighed. Cheryl hardly had friends that were true friends. It was only Lance and Violet the only two she needed. They were the ones who she could turn to back then. Anyone else used her for something or just wanted to see what the mysterious beautiful brunette was all about. But not these two they just wanted her to be herself. Nothing more and this is why Lance thinks that Cheryl is in denial. In denial due to Violet being her best friend. Her best friend who betrayed her in the end.

"You don't know her well enough Cheryl."

"I thought I had an idea at least, but I guess they all change don't they?"

"Or their true colours come out."

"Or that. But I swear she seemed genuine, maybe I should stop talking to people that would save me from any trouble right? Maybe it's just me and my mam's constant sessions getting to my head."