Chapter 3 - time of death

We all have stories. We all have places where we come from to which we hide from the world to avoid complete and utter humiliation. As surgeons we do that daily. We're told to basically have no such heart. Care for patients but don't get physically involved. Let them know you're willing to do anything to help them but when you can't do anything else you watch them die. As surgeons we're supposed to do this, that's the hardest part ever.

Cheryl put up Teddys car seat in the back of her car. It was Saturday now and it's finally her two days where she gets to spend time with her child. It's her time to finally bond with her after letting her down far too many times to even count.

"Mommy where are we going?" The five year old questioned.

"Home sweetie." Cheryl kissed her cheek and went over to the drivers seat and turned on the ignition. "We're going home."

To Cheryl her house at the moment really isn't a home. Sure it's where she sleeps every night, has food and furniture. But to her the home now is the hospital. 12 hour shifts. Surrounded by scrubs. Where you heal people or let them die.The hospital is her home.

While she helped the five year old get settled she grabbed her bags and started unpacking them in Teddys room. One by one she would nearly fold everything. When she got interrupted by her daughter holding her phone and pager.

"Why are you holding those Teddy?"

"They kept beeping. Important?"

Cheryl didn't even second guess anything. She knew it was her duty. Foolish of her to even think that today will be her time to spend with Teddy. It's silly. Everything takes a second seat now, even her daughter which she hated. Cheryl typed a quick text off to Lance telling him that he can just stay at her place for the time being. She has no time to drive back.

"Teddy, come over here sweetie." Cheryl fanned for Teddy to sit on her lap.

"What is it mommy? You look sad."

Observant little child. At five years old little Teddy can already read her mother like a book.

"Listen, daddy is on his way over to come and look after you today."

"But I thought it was just you and me?"

"You remember how mommy saves lives?" Teddy nodded in response. "I have to save more lives today."

"You're like a superhero mommy." Teddy giggled making Cheryl smile.

"You're not mad?"

"I'm not mad. You make people live again! They need you." Teddy smiled.

"You're so precious you know that?"

"I know." Teddy smiled widely.

-

Cheryl felt extremely guilty leaving her child. She still hasn't realized that these are the sacrifices that are needed to be made in order to pursue her career, to prove them wrong.

Pulling up towards Orange County Saving Hope Hospital she sighs. The life of a surgeon is agonizing. It's so demanding. She put herself through years of schooling for this?

Walking out and locking the car she got stopped from walking another step by a motorcycle. She remained standing in her spot as the rider swerved right into the parking spot beside her own car. Unaware of who this person is Cheryl remained standing rooted to the ground.

"It's not polite to stare Cheryl." Kimberley spoke removing her helmet.

"You drive a motorcycle."