Chapter 2 - The Competition

Start from the beginning

When he laughed in response to something the organizers said, my ears were pleased to listen to the husky and low sound of his laughter. My mind absorbed that sound into its depths, memorizing it as to play whenever it wanted to calm me. My heart did weird movements in my chest, making me uneasy and lighthearted all at once.

Watching that golden-eyed man, an unseen connection was drawing me to him. I had never believed in soulmates and any of that shit. But at the moment that magnetic pull between the golden-eyed man and me with the fluttering heart compelled me to believe in it. It was so powerful, I could not deny it - nor could I take it much longer, I had never felt this way. You have lost it!

It wasn't that I hadn't seen other handsome men. Even here in Pakistan, I had seen guys roaming here in university who could be simply titled as hunks but there was just something about him - something unusual that attracted me - something too damn powerful. Overwhelmed by the feeling, my claustrophobia forced me to leave the auditorium.

What is up with you? Ugh!

Outside, the sweet chirping of birds echoed from the trees at the far end of the lawn and the cool breeze calmed my nerves, brushing against my skin. My mind was going blank and empty of any thoughts.

"Excuse me!" I snapped my head in the direction of a girly voice. A girl with black curls and big eyeglasses stood behind me. I rose to my feet, standing face to face with her.

"Yes?"

"Competition is about to start, you should be in the auditorium," she babbled to me, her nose scrunching up as she pushed her eyeglasses up her straight nose.

"Okay, what's -"

I was about to ask her name, but I got interrupted by an aesthetic voice. My breath caught in my throat, my heartbeat got so loud that I feared he could even hear it from a distance.

"Aliza, I told you to collect all the participants!" He strode toward us, his blazer moving by wind, power, and superiority oozing from him.

Everything went away in the background. I could only see him talking in irritation, his full lips moving, and his voice like a song to my ears. His thick brown hair tousled in the gentle wind and his perfect olive skin shone in the morning light. His eyes closed as he tightened his jaw, causing me to notice his jawline sharper than a blade. His eyes sprang open as he groaned in frustration and I smiled with delight.

"Chalo Aliza, aao." Asking Aliza to go with him, who gave him a subtle nod - he turned toward me suddenly, leaving me caught off guard.

"You're?" he asked, his golden stare freezing me up.

"M-Mus...ca?" I had lost my voice somewhere, my tongue twisted in my mouth as I uttered the word with difficulty.

"Muus... never mind."

He tried to pronounce my name, amused. I mentally slapped myself. How could you be so stupid? Musca Stuart, of all the situations, you forgot your name here?

A grin appeared on his face and I forgot to breathe. That damn dimple.

"Shall we?" Aliza asked, breaking the trance. I nodded and walked with her.

Aaliyan, the owner of the beautiful name, was walking in front of me. All I could see was his long legs, wide shoulders and back - get a grip girl, you're not a hormonal teen!

His phone rang. He took the call, brusquely said something, and cut the call immediately after. To those in the auditorium, he kept chirping orders into the phone about the arrangements and whatever.