There was a lift on the corners of Tezuka's lips before he nodded curtly.

Fuyuki blocked out the voices in shock; she thought she was hallucinating at first but she wasn't because she saw her Prince as he smiled at Tezuka before running off. She debated following him but... he looked satisfied.  

"-ow can you just leave without saying goodbye?!" Kikumaru shouted, breaking the moment with an obvious upset tone. "...At least have a farewell part-"

"Tezuka," Fuji cut off his longtime friend, "I have a favor to ask of you before you go."

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

"Why are you guys having this kind of match?!" Kikumaru yelled. His eyes glued to the match between his two dear friends. 'If Oishi was here, he would know exactly what to do' The cat-like male thought to himself as he watched the two in distress.

The leaves fell from surrounding trees as the game came to an end.

Fuji was on the ground, his back on the cold court as his hand covered his eyes. "...Thank you." Fuji mumbled, but Tezuka was long gone. A drop of tear rolling from his eyes without control. 'No matter where you go, you always seem to be one step ahead of me.'

"How pretty

"How pretty." A soft voice snapped him out of his depressing thoughts. The smell of Magnolia filled his nostrils as Fuji felt soft slim fingers rubbing his cheek gently. Once his eyes open, startled, he was taken back. The beauty was merely inches away from him; her face hovering over his as she crouched down beside his head. Her finger caught the drop of tear that escaped his eyes.

Fuji didn't know what to say.

"Are you going to give up now?" There was no spite or judgment in her voice, merely curiosity. Those hazel pools seem to see through his sharp blue ones.

"...No." he quickly looked away from the flaming hazel eyes. He didn't want anyone to see him as his most vulnerable state. At the same time, a part of him didn't protest fiercely; those deep hazel eyes didn't look at him with scrutiny.

"You have to go higher." She stood up, "Ryo-chan would have less fun if you stopped here," Fuji didn't know what he was expecting, but those weren't the words of comfort he was seeking. "...and I would have one less person* to look forward to." 

Fuji barely caught the last part. He shot up into a sitting position but the beauty already started walked away. Yet, despite not being the most reassuring words, the whispered ending was enough. If he gave up now, he wouldn't be able to face himself and his friends. He would be letting down everyone that held high hopes or him, everyone that had certain expectations from him. 

The tennis prodigy wasn't coward enough to give up after one more defeat. He stood up and clenched his fists, determination coursing through his veins. 'I will surpass you, Tezuka.'