Chapter Twenty One

CHAPTER TWENTY ONE

You need to pull yourself together Ken, you're not going to find her in this state and your business is also on the line here. Come on buddy, you're a stronger than this. This is the time to prove it to your father, the world and most of all yourself that you can do it, get through this and still be a winner with your wife and child by your side.

EIGHT MONTHS AND TWO WEEKS LATER...........
"Hey fatso, oh my your seriously get bigger and bigger, I was gone just a week and you ye big", Miranda gestured at her friend
"Go on have your laugh six months from now you we will where am now. Come on my feet are killing me", Joanne said before her belly growled for food.
"Oh my we better get some food in you or else you stomach is going to scare everyone away".
"Ladies", the waiter approached handing them the menus.
"I have a chicken fita, passionate fruit juice and ice water".
"I will have mashed potatoes and steak, extra gravy plus a glass of lemon water".
Taking the menus the waiter left and the ladies got back to it, "So tell me when are you due?
"Any time now, am so excited to meet this little guy", Joanne said caressing her baby bump.
"Oh! oh get this I just realized your baby is going to have triple citizenship", Miranda said sipping on her ice water as her friend quirked a perfect eye brow in question.
"Yes, I believe you accepted Mr Luxemburg's offer to deliver the baby in Belgium. If so then your baby would be Ugandan, American and Belgium by birth".
Joanne thought about it her thoughts drifting eight months back when she was leaving New York distraught and heartbroken with an air ticket in hand. She remembered waiting anxiously to board the plan and the moment they announced that the passengers were boarding, she had rushed towards the gate and in the process collided with another rushing man who didn't even stop to help her pick the contents of her hand bag. But an older man the age of Mr Matthew scouted down beside her and helped her pick her staff.
"Thank you sir".
"It's my pleasure, James Luxemburg", he introduced himself.
"Malaika Joanne", she finished shaking the man's hand. They talked as they boarded the plan where they were soon separated since he was in first class, but to her surprise she was upgraded to first class courtesy of Mr Luxemburg who turns out was the owner of belAir one of the best airline companies in the world and one of Europe's richest men.
May be it was her vulnerable state that let her pour out her heart to the old man, coupled with the nausea and vomiting that gave away her condition and situation. When they made a pit stop in Belgium, he had insisted that she get off and get rest before she would continue with her journey. And just like God sent angel he set her up in a five star hotel, maids at her back and call.
As days turned in to weeks she decided to stay in Belgium and John offered her an executive post at the belAir headquarters. She developed a simple life in the calm beautiful country as her baby bump grew and soon after belAir was extended to Uganda. Joanne took over the project as the temporary country director until everything was settled but as her due date drew near she was forced into maternity leave. The Luxemburg family had welcomed her with open arms and it turned out that she reminder John of his late daughter. His wife treated her the same and their son took care of her like she was his long lost sister. They said she had the same eyes as she did.

"I am really thankful for what the Luxemburg family. I don't know where I would have been now without their help", Joanne finished just as their food arrived
"So are you going to tell them where you are yet?
"All my life I have lived for the happiness of others. I have to admit even in the being I agreed to get married because I was thankful what the Hunters had done for my mother and I wanted to make everyone happy. What I didn't plan on was falling in love and getting totally rejected. I gave him all of me, my love, my body and what did I get in return".
"Heartache" Miranda replied solemnly wishing her best had had better.
"Exactly, So until am ready I won't be revealing my where abouts to anyone"
"Aren't you worried about your mother and sister?
"The Hunters are good people. Cindy and mother are in good hands, what's important to me right is delivering my little one in a calm environment, I don't need their stress. Now shut it and let's eat in peace. Hmm this is delicious. I think am having chocolate mousse for desert".
"You should stop going to work Joanne you look like you're going to pop any minute. Are you still staying alone?
"Who else would be staying with?
"You should really look in to getting an in-house maid who sleeps on the grounds", Miranda finished just as Joanne's phone beeped signalling a received text.
"Oh it's Robert he will be dropping by soon, next week he says, Joanne finished reading the text. I think they sent him to drag back to Belgium. They are worried that I may get contractions and no one is around to help".
"Joanne they are right am also worried about you".
"Well don't be, am wrapping up here then taking John on is offer to deliver my baby in Belgium". The two friends chatted away and in the evening they parted ways.
Sitting in traffic for forty five minutes was not helping her. Her back was paining her and she couldn't wait to get home and lay down. Five hours later with supper eaten, a warm bath taken Joanne back was still in radiating pain which was getting worse. She lay tossing and turning trying to get a comfortable position but no veil. Pains started shooting from back to her lower abdomen.
"Please let me not be in labour", Joanne prayed getting up to call her doctor, but the warm splash that pooled on the fool between her legs confirmed her situation. Okay she said taking deep breaths. It seems you want to meet Mummy sooner she continued talking to herself as she walked to the closet, grabbed a towel and dubbed herself dry, before throwing on kitengi dress. Thanks to her emergency preparation both her bags and baby bags were already in car. Taking her hand bag and car keys she started down the stairs. A contraction tore through her and she supported herself on the railing. A minute passed and the pain disappeared. Screaming at her home security guard to open the gate she told him to take care of the place and to tell all those that needed her that she was at the hospital.
Reaching the hospital the nurses rushed to her wheeling her in and started preparing her for labour. She was set up nice in a private room and her doctor was called. She desperately wanted to push but they told her she was at six centimetres and had to wait to reach eight then she would bring her little prince into the world.
Two hours later Joanne had a heath little boy, over joyed she didn't take her eyes off of him the entire time he was being cleaned and wrapped in a clean blanket. She refused them to take him to the nursery and as a VIP her wish was granted. That night in the hospital room alone Joanne cried tears of joy and sadness. She really wanted to share this moment with the father of her baby. She longed to be in his arms, for his protection but he choose someone else.
"It's just you and me against the world sweetie. Am going to love you and give you the world. We will be okay", she repeated over and over again until sleep took her over.
On the second day, Joanne was in bed nursing her baby when Robert burst through her door. Breathing heavy,
"I called your phone you weren't answering and your security guard told me you were in the hospital", he trailed off straightening his back only to stop surprised, awe on his face as the little baby fussed as his feeding time was being interrupted
"Oh Joanne you had him".
"Yes, come meet your nephew. Hey don't cry, meet your Uncle Robert, Joanne cooed to her baby. Wanna hold him?
"His so small and pink am afraid I will break him".
"Come on don't be silly". She said just as the doctor came in to check on her.
"How are my two strong people doing?
"So far so good, Joanne said handing the baby to the nurse who was taking care of her. He has been breastfeeding well, only fusses when he's hungry and has a wet diaper".
"Okay sir am going to ask you to step out while I am going to exam her". Doctor asked and Robert compiled. Soon the doctor left and Robert returned.