Chapter 37

We finally arrive in California, we get our luggage and walk out of the airport. A lovely taxi man puts our belongings in the trunk and Renn and I get into the pink taxi.

"Where too?" The mans thick Mexican accent pleasantly asks.

Renn gives him the address and we pull out of the lot.

Our honeymoon is 7 days long, we wanted to go on a cruise that leaves from the keys but I wanted to go to California.

I'm looking forward to tonight, we are going to stay on the beach all day and then go to Venice boardwalk.

It takes no time at all till be pull up to the lovely W hollywood.

Another kind man takes our bags and Renn checks us in.

We walk upstairs to our room and it's absolutely gorgeous.

It's got one bed, a desk, a jacuzzi, and a lovely gift basket with some treats and 2 bathrobes with our names woven into them with thread.

We unpack and change into our bathing suits and walk to the beach.

I lay down and relax for a few moments.

Renn walks to the shore and I hear him holler. I quickly look up and find him standing in the water up to his ankles.

"This is freezing!" he yells up to me.

"It's California honey not key west!" I reply with a laugh.

He comes back up and lays next to me.

I close my eyes again but realize I won't be sleeping.

"I'm ready to talk." I say in the midst of silence.

My eyes are still closed, but I open them and look at him.

He knows what I mean.. ever since the kidnapping, I haven't said a word to him about it.

I've only told my counselor some parts of it. But Renn, he will understand.

"I'm tired, Renn." I sit up.

"I'm tired of fearing every day that he will be released from prison and he will take me away from you. Take you away from me."

I sniff.

"He isn't going to leave. He isn't smart enough to escape and the bail was released so nobody can pay to get him out." He grabs my hands into his.

"What are your nightmares?" he asks after a moment.

I look at him like he's crazy.

"What are they about?" he repeats.

I think for a moment, what is my response?

"They are different. Some of them he isn't in, it's just me being in the trunk."

"Others are... of him, beating you. Killing Katelynn... stabbing Zoey." I shrug.

"They're all different."

"But that's why they're nightmares." he says.

"That's why they aren't real. I have nightmares too, but I look at you and they just.. disappear."

A small smile forms and I don't try and hide it.

He takes my head into his hand and softly kisses me on my cheek.

I lay down next to him and leave my eyes open for a minute; thinking about what he just said.. but I finally come to the point where they slowly close and I listen to the ocean and seagulls.