not lovers, just strangers

"So don't call me baby
Unless you mean it
Don't tell me you need me
If you don't believe it
So let me know the truth
Before I dive right into you."

♦️

As his Uber pulled up to the end of the gated driveway of the compound, Peter's stomach dropped and he felt an inescapable feeling of dread and impending doom. He was supposed to be in his room but it was guaranteed that Tony knew that he snuck out. He was in enough trouble as it is, and he could only blame himself for adding that on, too. He promised himself that he would face whatever was thrown at him. He swallowed his pride and bucked up, ready to go head on. But, as he got out of the car, his legs felt like lead. It was a struggle to walk all the way up the drive and walk into the door, Tony sitting in the chair and reading a book, looking like a father would in the movies when his daughter comes home after curfew.

"I thought you were supposed to stay in your room and think about what you've done?" Tony asked without looking up from his novel.

"I'm sorry I left, but I thought about everything that happened tonight long and hard."

"You ruined the suit in the process, huh?" Tony asked, spying the frayed fabric on the sleeves of the suit jacket.

"I'll pay you back, Mr. Stark, it was an accident. I tripped and fell out of a cab."

"You don't have nearly enough money to pay me back for that suit, Peter. Again, since I have to say things twice around here, apparently, you're grounded."

"Ooh, grounded? I'll go get the shovel!" Thor's voice boomed, he was lingering around that room and happened to hear the conversation. Both Peter and Tony were equally confused.

"What do you need a shovel for?"

"Doesn't 'grounding' someone mean burying them alive?!"

"No, Thor!" Tony exclaimed. "That is NOT what grounding means!"

"Well, I owe Maize an apology, then. Excuse me."

Earlier, Tony made Thor in charge of grounding Maize, and it led to Maize getting dirt thrown at her and chased throughout the house with a shovel, "The Shining" style.

"I am going to bury you until you learn your lesson!" Thor yelled at Maize. Yes, she did trip and fall into a partially pre-dug hole, but she ran out of Thor's clutches before she could be buried. That was impressive, since she was still wildly intoxicated and was running all over creation like a track star. Then, she fell into the embrace of Jordie for the rest of the night, drowning her sorrows in somebody while Peter was alone and running through the streets with his woes.

I don't know if we should be alone together
I still got a crush, that's obvious
If nobody's around, what's stopping us?

On Peter's way upstairs to his room to begin his sentence of grounding, he tripped over a stiletto heel in the hallway and picked it up in a touch of confusion. How did it end up there? Why didn't Marnie just go and pick it up?

Then Peter came to a realization that the next shoe was just outside of Jordie's door. He finally figured out what was going on and his breath caught in his chest. He didn't think her night would end up that way, but it all began with him and Talia. He had no one else to blame for it.