Chapter Four: Unveiling The Truth

We waited a few minutes before someone opened the door for us. A tall and slim woman appeared behind the door. She smiled from ear to ear, greeted us, and welcomed us in. I looked around her house. It was small, but cozy. At first, I didn't find anything suspicious until she touched a cupboard, and it immediately span, disappearing behind the wall and was replaced by a mysterious door. I turned to Kelsey.

      What is this place? I mouthed to her, and she mouthed back. Just trust me.

      I felt a chill run down my spine when we entered the door and into a tunnel, then into a dark room filled with candles, skeletons, and a dining table. At least it looked like a dining table.

      We sat on the table, still remained completely silent. I was so confused and distressed so I decided to break the ice.

      "So," I cleared my throat, looking at everyone with a what-are-we-gonna-do face.

      The woman smiled. "So," she repeated. "You must be Margie."

      I stared at her in disbelief. I really wanted to turn to Kelsey and shout 'who is this lady and how did she know my name?', but I decided not to.

      "Kelsey and I had known each other for quite a while now, and I want you to trust me the way you trust her." she turned to me. "Now, Margie, I know you must be wondering why are you here and who the heck am I, so I'm going to explain to you. My name is Lindsay, and I'm a medium."

I was about to freak out when I heard that word. Medium. I had never expected Kelsey to know a medium. And why would she want me to meet Lindsay?

"I knew everything about you, Margie. Kelsey had explained everything so you don't have to explain anything. But do me one, important favor,"

"What is it?" I asked without hesitating.

"Please," she begged. "No matter what, don't break the circle."

I gulped when I heard that sentence. I didn't know exactly what she meant and what could be the consequences, but I trusted Kelsey. I knew she wouldn't do something silly to me. The fact that she brought me into a medium scared me, but I decided not to talk much and rely on her. I trusted her, after all.

I watched as Lindsay lit up the candles around us and turned the lights off. I gasped and nearly screamed when I saw her slowly pulling out an Ouija board onto the table, right in the middle of us. Now I realized why she wasn't much a talkative person. She communicates with the dead. Her house was definitely filled with people from the other side. Now I knew why Kelsey hadn't let me talk a lot and kept her voice down. We're surrounded by spirits.

She put two fingers on the planchette, followed by Kelsey and I. She closed her eyes and whispered, "Spirits near, we call to you. If there is any presence, please give a sign."

There was no sign at all. I started having goose bumps. I can't believe I'm doing this. I've never believed in supernatural, but I felt like I was consumed by fear. Lindsay had tried for the third time, yet there was no sign of any presence, so Kelsey decided to take a move.

      "Let me do it," she whispered to Lindsay, then took a deep breath before starting. "Spirits that have been following my friend around, please show yourself."

      Before I could respond to what she had said, the window located three feet away from us burst open, letting a violent windstorm in the room, which sent chills down my spine. I gasped but Kelsey squeezed my hand so tight that it actually hurts. I was starting to freak out. My body was drenched in sweat.

      "Thank you," Lindsay smiled. "Now if you would let us, we would like to ask you some questions." she turned to us and whispered, "go ahead." Kelsey and I looked at each other, then she turned to the Ouija board on the table.

      "Did you really follow Margie around?" she asked.

      I squeezed Lindsay and Kelsey's hands tighter when I saw the planchette move across the board, the stopped right above the word "yes".

      "Why?" she asked again, ignoring my tight squeeze. Again the planchette moved across the board. This time, it was trying to spell out words.

      "I... W-A-N-T... H-E-R."

      Silenced filled the atmosphere. I could feel my heart beat sped up. I was drenched in sweat as fear stared to consume me. It wanted me?! But why?!

      "W-w-who are y-you?" I asked. My heart stopped when I spelled out the word.

      "A-B-B-Y."