Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen: Background Checks

Demi's Point of View

It's been a few days since my mother talked some sense into me. I've gotten most of my shit together again. I'm eating again, showering, and I've even filled out more paperwork. Most of the paperwork, I already mailed, but I'm not done yet. They still have to do background checks and look at my house and make sure it's safe for a three year old to live in.

I hear a knock on my door. "Demi?" I hear mom call me. She opens the door. "Hey, Dem. You doing okay?" I set my pen down and turn to face her. "Yeah, I'm okay. Just filling out more paperwork. I'm almost done with it." I respond.

"Well, that's good." My mom sits down beside me on the bed. We sit in silence for a while.

"Mom?" I break the silence after five minutes. "Do you think Sky is okay in her foster home?"

"I'm sure she's fine, sweetheart. Don't worry." Mom reassures me. "B-But what if her foster parents are abusive like Cate and Clementine? What if they don't accept her being transgender? What if-" Mom cuts me off. "Demi, I'm sure Sky is fine. You heard Sophia. Her foster parents have been taking care of children for two decades and their house is appropriate for kids to live in. Sky will be fine."

I nod my head, still a little unsure. "Okay." I whisper. Mom kisses the top of my head and stands up. "Now finish your paperwork. Sophia will be here in an hour for the background check."

One hour later...

The doorbell rings an hour later. I make my way downstairs. I can't believe that I have to be open and friendly to the woman who took my child away. I absolutely hate it. But, I know if I screw up, I'll never get Sky back. So I just gotta put on a fake smile and pretend Sky was never taken away.

I straighten out my outfit: A plain white collared shirt, black pants, and black ballet flats and open the door.

I am met with the impatient blue eyes of Sophia Greely. Her face says "It's about time you showed up". I force a smile. "Ms. Greely. It's nice to see you again." I greet. "Come in." I open the door wider.

"It's Mrs. Greely." She corrects tautly as she steps inside. I roll my eyes and shut the door. What person would want to marry Cruella de Vil? I wonder in my head.

I lead her to the dining room table. "Would you like anything to eat? A drink?" I offer her. "No, I'm fine. Let's just get down to business." She declines.

"Right." I sit down at the table and Sophia sits right across from me. She reaches into her bag and pulls out her laptop.

"So, why do you want to adopt Skyler?" Sophia asks as she types away on her computer.

"Well, ever since I met her, I felt some sort of connection with her and I know she feels the same way about me." I respond. She nods curtly and continues typing.

"But what about your career? You have a very busy career as a singer. Don't you think that would get in the way of raising a child?"

I shake my head. "Not at all. I would always make time for her."

"What would you do if you went on tour?" She questions.

"I would most likely take her with me. Or, have her stay with my parents."

"Hmm.." She mumbles and types. There is an awkward silence between us. The only sound that can be heard is the clacking of the keys.

"So, according to your records, you were a drug addict and an alcoholic. You also self mutilated and were bulimic and anorexic. She deadpans. "With that kind of history, what makes you think you can raise a child?"

I resist the urge to roll my eyes. "I've been sober since 2012, that's three years. I went to rehab for three months in 2010. I haven't cut since I left. I even have a reminder to stop myself in case I want to cut." I hold up my wrists to reveal my Stay Strong tattoo. "And I'm happy in my own skin." I add.

Sophia continues to type. "If you do get permission to adopt Skyler, will you take care of him and give him the love and attention he deserves? He's not a dog. You can't give him away. You'll be his gaudian forever." She asks. I purse my lips when she uses the male pronouns.

"First of all, Sky is a she, so please respect her by using female pronouns." I reprimand her. Sophia rolls her eyes behind her computer screen. "And yes I will care for her and give her the love and attention she deserves. I know she isn't a dog and I would never give her away." I put emphasis on the female pronouns.

"Skyler is not a girl. She was born male and that's what she'll always be." I hear her mutter. I clench my fists, my anger rising.

"Look, lady. Skyler may have been born male, but her gender identity is female. Gender and sex are not the same. Your gender is what you identify as. Your sex is what you are identified as genetically. What you have between your legs doesn't define you. Skyler is a girl."

Sophia seems flabbergasted by my response. Her mouth keeps opening and closing like she wants to speak but can't. She looks like a fish.

"Well, based on your answers, I think you'd be a great parent for Sky." She says and I can't help but smile. "So, your house check should take place give to seven days. May I get your current address, phone number and email?"

I give her all of that information. Sophia saves it in her computer and shuts it. I see her to the door. "You'll get either a phone call or an email from the court regarding your house check two days in advance." Sophia informs. I nod my head.

"Okay, it was very nice meeting with you, Mrs. Greely. Bye!" I shut the door and break out into my happy dance.

"Oh my god, yes! I'm one step closer to Sky!" I yell happily as I flail my arms wildly

"Demi are you okay? I heard-" Mom cuts herself off as she sees me dancing. "Uhhh, are you having some sort of fit?"

I laugh. "No, I'm just excited! The background check went so well, even though Sophia was a total bitch."

Mom smiles. "That's great, Dems. I'm happy for you. So what's next?"

"Well, someone is going to come by my house and check to see if it's safe for a child to live in. So, I'm gonna have to go to LA." I explain.

Mom looks a little sad when I mention going back to LA. I stop my dance. "Hey, I'll be back after it's all over. I promise. I mean, I kind of have to if I want to get Sky."

I pull her into a hug. "I know, I know." She sighs. "It's for Sky. But, I'll miss having you around."

"I'll miss being around you guys too. But I promise I'll be back. Okay?"

My mom nods. I kiss her cheek. "Love you."

"I love you more." She whispers. Finally, I can sleep peacefully knowing that I and one step closer to having Sky back into my arms.

A/N: Sorry for the crappy ending and the month-long delay but I'm back! Make sure to vote and comment. Please comment. It lets me know that you are enjoying the story. Love you!