Chapter Five

Chapter Five: Temporary Custody

Demi's Point of View

"Well, if you like her so much, why don't you just take care of her?" Maddie asks.

"Wait, you mean adopt her?" I say in shock.

Adopt Sky? I think. I stare at the sleeping three year old in my arms. I mean, I adore Sky so much, but I don't think I'm ready to be a mom. I'm only twenty-three.

"I don't know, Mads." I whisper. "I'm really young. I don't think I'm ready to raise a child.."

"But." Maddie presses on. "Look how attached Sky is to you. You've already got the motherly instincts. You got her to tell you that she was getting abused. You calmed her down when she was crying. In my opinion, you're already a great mother."

I sigh. Maddie does have a point, but I just don't really feel ready. I feel Sky starting to squirm. She's starting to wake up. Sky lets out a tiny yawn and her eyes slowly flutter open. She looks up at me with her big dark blue eyes.

I smile. "Hey, baby girl. Did you have a nice nap?" Sky nods silently. Sky turns her attention to my family and I feel her body tense. She buries her face into my chest and her tiny little hands cling to my shirt as if her life depended on it.

I gently rub her back. "It's okay, Sky." I coo at her. "They're just my family. It's okay. They won't hurt you." Her grip on my shirt doesn't loosen, but her body becomes less tense. She turns her head slightly and looks at my family.

"That's my mom, my step dad, and my two sisters, Dallas and Maddie." I indicate them as I say their names. Maddie slowly moves closer and Sky tightens her grip on my shirt. Maddie gets down on her knees so she doesn't seem so scary to Sky.

"Hello, Sky. I'm Maddie." Maddie whispers. Sky stares at Maddie silently and she does something that surprises all of us. She raises her hand and waves to Maddie.

This makes me smile. Sky is starting to come out of her shell. She's not speaking much, but it's a start.

A few hours later...

The doctors have taken x-rays of Sky's private parts. They are bruised, but not broken. Dr. Morgan said that it should heal in four weeks to a month, but Sky won't have a fun time peeing.

My family went home about a half hour ago, so it's just me and Sky. I'm cradling Sky in my arms, feeding her the bottle of milk I brought for her. She looks absolutely adorable. I can't stop staring at her.

She just looks like a little angel

She just looks like a little angel. Cate and Clementine are monsters for hurting such a beautiful and sweet little girl. I hope they get life in prison! There is a knock at the door and Dr. Morgan walks in with Officer Wilson.