Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven: Shopping and an Unpleasant Surprise

Demi's Point of View

I feel something light, but noticeable sitting on my chest and something poking my cheek. I gently swat away whatever is poking me. The thing continues. I groan. "Stooooop." I hear a tiny giggle and the thing pokes my cheek harder and faster.

My eyes flutter open. My dark brown eyes meet dark blue ones. Sky. Sky giggles again, making me smile. She gets off of my chest, allowing me to sit up. I set her on my lap. "Well, good morning, Nugget." I greet her warmly. She smiles through her pacifier at the new nickname. "Hi."

"Did you sleep well?" I ask, remember her waking up screaming and crying last night from a nightmare. Sky nods and gives me a thumbs-up. "That's good." I kiss the top of her soft, brown hair.

The smell of food hits my nose, making my mouth water. "I don't know about you, but I'm hungry. Let's go get some food." I lift Sky up and we make our way downstairs. Halfway down the stairs, I start to feel this familiar unsettling feeling in my stomach. Oh no. The ice cream!

I set Sky on the steps. She looks up at me with confusion.

"Sky, remember when I told you last night that ice cream makes me poop a lot?" I ask. She nods her head. "Well, I have to go badly." Sky bursts into a fit of giggles. "It's not funny!" I whine, pouting slightly.

I tell Sky to meet me downstairs. I run back upstairs to the bathroom. After doing my business, I wash my hands and make my way downstairs.

"There you are, Demi. What took you so long?" Mom asks. "Your food got cold."

"Well, last night I had some ice cream with Sky and it messed up my stomach." I explain.

"Demi, I had some ice cream that didn't have any lactose in it. You could have eaten that instead." I make a face. "Ew, that stuff tastes like an old man's underwear!"

Dallas laugh. "How the hell would you know what an old man's underwear tastes like?" I shrug and take my food and heat it up in the microwave.

"So, what are you and Sky going to do today?" Mom asks as I sit down. I shrug my shoulders. "I don't know. Maybe take Sky shopping. She only has a few outfits." I respond, shoving a piece of bacon into my mouth. I'm supposed to be on a diet, but when I'm with my mom, the word diet doesn't exist. I'm allowed to have cheat days!

"That's a good idea. And while you're at it, you can shop for some last minute Christmas presents. Christmas is less than a week away." I totally forgot about Christmas. I've been so wrapped up with Sky, I forgot to finish Christmas shopping. I normally do it earlier in the month.

After breakfast, I take Sky upstairs. "What would you like to wear today, Nugget?" I ask as I look through the handful of clothes she has. Sky points to a cute white and blue dress. Even though it's December, it's pretty warm in Dallas.

I change Sky into a clean pull-up and help her put the dress on. I help her put on her purple flat shoes. "Now, you stay here. I'm going to take a shower." I say to Sky and hand her my phone to play with. Sky nods and sits down on the bed.

I go into the bathroom and take a quick, warm shower. After brushing my teeth and combing my hair, I put on my outfit for the day: a black crop top, black pants, a black and white checkered flannel shirt, and black combat boots.