Chapter Three

A/N: I'm currently working on a new book called Warrior, so I'll let you know when that'll be up. Also, chapter contains verbal and physical abuse.

Chapter Three: Finding Out

Demi's Point of View

"Sky, what happened to your face?" I question. Sky starts to open her mouth to talk, but no words come out. Sky grabs her bags and runs out of the store, dropping her baby bottle. I pick it up. Something's definitely not right...

I pick up Skyler's bottle. It looks so ratty and nasty. The nipple looks like it got cut off and mold and dirt is stuck on the inside of the bottle. Why would they even let Sky drink out of this disgusting thing?

I unscrew the top off of the bottle. An indescribably disgusting odor hits my nose like a ton of bricks. I cover my nose as I try not to gag. "Holy shit!" The milk in her bottle looks chunky and smells like expired cheese. This milk is spoiled.

"Demi!" I hear my mom calling me. I quickly put the top back on the bottle and stuff it in my purse. I stand up as Mom, Dallas, Eddie, and Maddie appear, holding several bags.

"Did you find any skim milk?" Mom questions. I don't even know why I made that excuse. I'm lactose intolerant. I still eat things like cookies and ice cream, but milk with lactose in it alone messes up my stomach the most.

"Um, yeah. But, I decided not to get it. It has lactose in it, and you know how milk with lactose really messes me up." Nobody questions it and we load the groceries into the car.

At dinner, I can't stop thinking about Skyler. I mean why is a three year old going outside without an adult and with no shoes? Why is her bottle so disgusting and why is there spoiled milk inside of it? What is going on at that orphanage?

"Demi?" Mom calls. I look up at her. "You okay, sweetie?" She asks gently. "You haven't touched your food." I nod and give her a fake smile. "Yeah, I'm alright." I pick up a piece of broccoli and shove it into my mouth.

"You don't seem alright. You look a little worried." All eyes fall on me.

I sigh. Might as well tell them. "Well you know Skyler, the girl I was playing with at the orphanage today?" I ask. Everyone nods. "Well, while we were at the supermarket, I saw her there and she wasn't wearing shoes or a jacket. And she was alone. When I went up to her, she had a huge hand mark on her cheek along with a couple of scratches."

"What if she's being abused?" I ask paranoid. "Oh, Demi. I'm sure she's not being abused." Eddie tries to reassure me. "She is probably just being a kid and playing around with the other girls.

I want to believe Eddie, but deep down, I feel that Sky is being mistreated somehow. But, I could be wrong. I hope I am.

Skyler's Point of View

I can't believe that I ran into Demi at the store. Who would have thunk that she'd be there? She tried getting me to talk about why I was alone and why my face was messed up, but I couldn't.

I lie down on my mattress with my Nuni in my mouth. I dropped my baba in the store while I was running and I miss it so badly, even though it was dirty. I hear the door slam and I look to see Miss Cate along with Miss Clementine.

"So, Miss Cate told me that you were playing with toys today. Is that right?" Miss Clementine asks me in a low, scary tone. I gulp and nod. "Yes, Miss Cwementine."

"You know the rules, you stupid tranny! Freaks aren't allowed to play with toys!" She screams. I start to tremble in fear. Miss Clementine is scarier than Miss Cate when she's mad. "And why are you wearing that? You're a boy!"