Chapter One

You could probably hear my mum's screams from down the road.

I ignored her for a while but then got slightly worried that she was actually dying and looked towards my bedroom door. I had hoped she'd just make her way upstairs, you know, dying and all, but I soon realised that hope was foolish.

I made an ugly sound at the awareness that really, I'm only still living under my mum's roof in order to be her slave.

For example, my mother called me downstairs once to let the dog out because she "didn't want to do it."

Like mate, WE DON'T EVEN FUCKING HAVE A DOG.

She later disclosed that she just made me think there was a dog involved, to avoid making a sandwich herself.

This is the definition of child abuse, I tell you.

Accepting my miserable fate, I stood up and shoved my phone into my pocket. The walk downstairs was agony. My life was too precious to engage in more slavery.

I slowly made myself visible to my family, and I swear to god, my heart leapt with joy when I realised that my mum's eyes weren't fixed with a glare headed my way.

Instead, she was engaged in conversation with my twin brother. My mum was tugging on her McDonald's work uniform, while my brother was doing the same to the suit he was sporting.

I think they were comparing who's outfit was worse, but I couldn't be sure, because I was too busy considering whether or not to sprint back upstairs.

"Ash, stop hiding on the stairs," Drew said, looking at me weirdly.

This cunt thinks he's funny.

I groaned and went over to the breakfast bar. I raised my eyebrows at Drew, eyeing his suit. "You look like Dad."

"I'm having dinner with dad tonight."

"Ashy, next time when I call you, come down from your room straight away," pointing at me.

The narrowness of her finger made me want to ask if she was telepathically trying to "point" some sense into me. She was still glaring so I, very smartly, decided against asking her.

"I deeply regret my actions."

"Macie called. She said you weren't answering your phone." Mum explained, taking a seat with Drew and I.

Macie should know that I'm always on my phone, so if I don't answer it, I'm totally ignoring her.

"Oh, I haven't checked my phone," I lied. If I told her I was ignoring Macie, she'd get mad at me.

Mum loved my best friend more than me, I swear.

"But your phone's in your pocket - Ow!" Drew yelped as I kicked him in the shin. "Ash!"

This fucker wasn't going to ruin this.

"You little bitch." Drew glared at me.

I shrugged innocently at him.

"I'm going to leave for work before you guys kill each other. Ash, call Macie back and Drew, have fun with your father. And both of you fix your language before I get home, okay? Okay."

She picked up her handbag and kissed both Drew and I on the head. "Behave, Asher, I mean it."

"What? Why do I have to behave? You have another child to yell at too!"

Mum looked at me knowingly, however I didn't know anything.

I turned to Drew once Mum was out of the house. "You're a fucking dickhead."