Six

\Dark Thoughts/

Mikey's POV
==========

I had stopped screaming and was down to shallow breaths. I watched as Shredder threw the bucket down and stomped out, slamming the cell door behind him. If I could've gotten up, I don't think I would've checked the door; it automatically locks.

'You really don't know how lucky you are,' the voice chuckled.

"Oh yeah," I rasped sarcastically, "it's a huge honor to be selected for torture. Sure."

'Not that, stupid. I meant with how long your brothers put up with you. I mean, if it was me, you would've been gone a looooong time ago. Let you get the message sooner. Oh well. Leaving you here all alone to get tortured isn't a bad way to tell you either,' it said.

A wave of sadness washed over me, but I shook it off. "They do care!" I yelled weakly. "And I got proof! Earlier after I woke, Leo patted me. And Donnie hugged me, too! Oh yeah! Raph smiled at me. Do you know how often that happens?"

The voice sighed sadly, as if wondering how I could be this dumb. 'You agreed with me earlier, Michelangelo. You know they aren't coming, so why are you being so stubborn?'

I became silent, knowing it was right. "Then- then- then w- why did my bros s- seem to care so mu- much that I was o- okay?" I asked it.

'Wow. Just, wow. Its been happening for years and you still haven't noticed it. Wow,' the voice said in genuine shock.

"What's been happening?" I asked aloud, growing impatient from pain. "WHAT'S BEEN HAPPENING?!?"

'The reason that they, ahem, 'cared',' the voice said, emphasizing cared. 'Is because you are the backup. The escape goat. Plan B. The bait. Etc.'

I snorted and tried to laugh, which sounded more like a cough. "Yeah right!" I stated. "Get real!"

'Oh, it's true. For instance, when Baxter Stockman had the T-Pod, who was voted to be the distraction? And earlier when you were attacked by Rahzar, did your brothers make any real attempts to save you? No. But they did, because they still need a distraction on their side. A punching bag. Think about it; Raphael is the muscle. Leonardo is the leader. Donatello is the brains. Where do you fit in? No one needs you. They don't need your foolish jokes to distract and annoy them. They don't need your pranks to anger or put them on edge. They don't. need. you!'