Chapter 1

I'm in the middle of the forest. A canopy of trees surround me, hiding the sun. In the midst of confusion, it's an infant's cry that brings me back to reality. I search around for the babe, only to see a woman yelling orders, inaudible to understand. A quick kiss to the baby's forehead, before placing them down on the frigid forest floor. She takes off running in the opposite direction of the child, through the foliage, every so often glancing behind her in a panic. Drawn to her I follow, but she looks right past me. When she finally stops her movements her breath is audible. Kneeling down near the bushes to hide, she knows time is running out. A dark shadow creeps up behind her.

"Watch out!"

I scream loudly. Awaking from my dream.

The same dream, constantly plaguing me. A nightmare. What does it mean?

Yawning I stretch, wiping the sleep from my eyes before shielding them from the morning sun, illuminating my bedroom.

Oh, no! I'm late for breakfast. He is going to be so irritated. He will be grumpy for the rest of the morning.

Throwing many silk and fur blankets off of me, I crawl to the edge of the bed. Stepping down my wooden stepstool I rush hastily into my private bathroom. Running warm water into the porcelain basin, I pull my nightgown over my head, flinging it to the floor. Goosebumps form on my bare skin as I shiver, grabbing a bottle of fragrant oil to pour into the water.

I wish I had time for a bath.

Grabbing a cloth resting on top of the sink spout I dip it into the basin and start to wipe down my entire body. Once clean of sweat and grime I splash my face once with fresh water. Dabbing gently with another cloth to dry myself I go back in my room to get dressed.  Slipping on my undergarments I choose a simple cotton baby blue dress with a white bodice that I tie up tight in the back. My shoes are nothing fancy, a simple brown leather with no heel.  Checking my appearance in my beauty vanity mirror I brush tangles out of my hair with my fingers, too much in a rush to comb them out. After I finish braiding my hair and tying it with a ribbon I spray perfume on my neck, then dab a bit behind my ears.

His favorite scent, should lessen his anger.

With one last glance at my appearance I hold onto my locket saying a quick good morning to my parents wherever they may be. I kiss the shimmering gold praying to God for strength before exiting out of my room.  I run down the empty stone corridor, making my way directly to the kitchen. Staff running around, but all work seems to halt as soon as I step in.

"Child where have you been?"

"I overslept."

I say quietly to the woman who has raised me for the last twenty years. I take note of her appearance, pieces of her gray hair, undone from its tight bun. Her apron covered in blood with a bit of flour on her chin. A tiny jewel pinned on the collar of her dress, to signify her head maid status. Despite her disheveled appearance, concern is etched upon her face.

"Another nightmare Winnie."

"Yes ma'am."

She sighs in frustration before coming closer, holding my cheek in a loving manner with her withered hands.

"You must see the pack doctor. It isn't normal for a girl your age to be so frightened. He can give you a remedy to help you sleep."

"I am fine.....mother."

I say quietly, only loud enough for her to hear.

"We will talk later. Master has been waiting for you. Hit poor Arthur in the face for delivering his food to him. The poor cook had to recook his breakfast again. All that food wasted on the floor."