Chapter Eleven

Clary's POV

"Izzy? Can I talk to you about something?" Her and I just got back to my place from our day of shopping and Lily was spending the night with my dad.

"Sure. What about?" We sat down on the couch and I shamefully looked down at my lap. "What's wrong?"

"Iz, I've been keeping something really big from you and I feel so bad about it. I would understand if you didn't want to be my friend anymore."

"Clary, you are my best friend outside of my husband, nothing you could tell me would make me want to stop being friends with you. Whatever it is, I can take it." I felt the tears swell up in my eyes.

"I haven't told anyone who Lily's father is, but I think it's going to come out soon because he wants to be in her life. I don't think he deserves to be in her life, but I'm rambling, I think I'm trying to stall."

"Tell me, I promise I will still want to be your friend."

"But, I lied to you at one point. How can you forgive that?"

"I just do, now tell me." I took in a shaky breath.

"Okay, but you have to let me tell the whole story without interupting me. Promise."

"I promise."

"So, it was the night that I found Reid in bed with someone else and I went out to a bar and got drunk and I went home with a guy. You can imagine what happened." She nodded. "So, I found out that I was pregnant a few months later and thankfully, I remembered where the guy lived. I told him that I was pregnant and he told me he'd pay for the abortion."

She scoffed. "What an ass." She smiled sheepishly. "Sorry, continue."

"I told him that I was keeping it and that if he didn't call me before the baby was born, he would have nothing to do with it. I left my number and my address, but I knew he wasn't going to step up and be a father to Lily." I looked up at her and wiped away my tears. "Lily's father is your brother. Jace. I am so sorry for not telling you, I just didn't want to ruin your relationship with him, I knew that you looked up to him like I look up to Jon. I'm so sorry, Izzy."

Her face showed shock, but then changed to anger. "I'm not upset with you, Clary, but I am upset with him. He should've stepped up, he should've been there. I will be here tomorrow to babysit when you go to work, but tonight, Jace is about to die."

"Iz, don't ruin your relationship because of this. Not over me." She stood up and grabbed her bags.

"Not just for you, but for Lily. I love you and I will see you tomorrow."

"Love you."

Jace's POV

"Jace, what's wrong? You seemed distracted the whole way here." I looked up at my mom as we got back to their place.

"You'll disown me if I tell you." She sat down on one couch and I sat across from her on the other one.

"I will not. What is wrong?"

"I made an unbelievably huge mistake almost two years ago and I don't think I can fix it."

"What did you do this time?"

"I may have gotten a girl-" The front door opening and slamming shut stopped me from telling her.

Izzy stormed into the living room and glared daggers at me as she dropped her shopping bags.

"You fucking asshole! How could you?!" She yelled at me and I stood up. "She told me!"

"Iz, just let me explain."

"Screw you! She kept it from me because she didn't want your actions to affect my relationship with you! She knew that I looked up to you, but now, now you can go to hell and rot there!" She took off her heel and tried to throw it at me, but dad took this moment to grab the heel and hold her back.

"Isabelle, calm down. Jace, what the hell did you do? I haven't seen her this mad at you since she was thirteen and you flushed her makeup."

"He got my best friend pregnant and ditched her!" Izzy screeched.

"You did what?" Dad was doing that thing where he gets so mad that he's calm. It's so much worse than yelling. Silent but deadly.

"It's true, I did. That's what I was trying to tell mom before Izzy got here and I know how bad it is that I told her to have an abortion and I didn't step up for the baby, but I wasn't ready to be a father. I didn't want to be a father."

"No man is ready to be a father, Jace. Wait, Izzy's best friend? But, that's-" Mom's face turned angry and she she threw a flip flop at me. "No! Jace, how could you do that to that sweet girl?!"

"I'm sorry! I want to fix it, but I don't know how! That's why I needed advice from you." I sighed.

"Damn it, Jace. It's hard to be nice to you as your mother when I know that you did this to the sweetest girl on earth." Mom sighed and sat back down, so I did, too.

"Who did he get pregnant?" Dad asked.

"Clary." I spoke and he harshly smacked the back of my head before sitting down next to mom.

"So, Lily is our granddaughter?" I nodded to my mom. "You need to fix things with Clary."

"How?"

"I don't know. Okay, take her coffee, don't ask her about the custody situation, just chat about things and get to know each other. Try to make her not hate you as much as she does right now. But, don't push too much into her past, she doesn't like to talk about it and don't ask why."

"Okay. How does she like her coffee?"

"Black, nothing in it. And, don't wear cologne, she hates it." Izzy said and I looked up at her as she put her heel back on. "I'm not talking to you." She grabbed her bags and left the house.

"She'll forgive me eventually, right?"

"Not anytime soon. You know how well your sister can hold a grudge."

"Yeah. Did you guys know about why Clary really came home from Hawaii early?" I asked.

"No. I thought she was sick. Was she not?"

"I shouldn't tell you, if she hasn't yet, she probably doesn't want anyone to know." I stood up. "Thank you for the advice, I will see you guys tomorrow at dinner." I kissed my mom's cheek and grabbed my jacket before leaving.

I will find a way to get them back. Clary and Lily....