Overworld Chapter 51 - In the Stone Face

Start from the beginning

Happy she was a little warmer, Link started back into a light jog headed north. Ahead was a craggy span of foothills. Spires rose up around them, not as high as the cliff face they had just climbed up, but still towering above them. Some of the rock growths wrapped around to form canyons and ravines. Link started to feel a nip in the wind as well but didn't comment as he heard Zelda shivering behind him. His tunic was better than her thin dress any day for warmth.

Eventually, the two found foot paths trailing through the crags, marked off to point towards Tabanth Village. With the sun peaking over the rock face behind them as it climbed to its zenith, they made their way west as best they could, looking for breaks in the stone.

The path began to slope down again. Link put his arm out in front of Zelda has they rounded a sharp bend, the ground dropping off inches in front of them. Zelda skidded into his arm before looking down and taking a step back. A hot puff of breath escaped her mouth as she gasped at the drop. "Goddesses!"

Link looked over the crevice, the princess leaning over his shoulder now aware of the drop off. A stream tried to pass through the rocky floor, not even a inch deep in most parts. The trickle of the water was barely audible over the wind whipping through the ravine. Caves dotted the passage, snaking through the cliff faces in riddling passages. Link wondered if anyone knew how to navigate those rocks.

Shivering beside him, Zelda offered, "Maybe a villager would know more."

He nodded, backing up from the drop and returning to the trail that snaked through the rocks before them. "I hope so." He didn't want to voice any more worry about having to navigate those rocks on his own.

They got a few more glances at the cave dotted ravine, though the edges weren't as sheer. Some of the drop offs were even protected by stone piles acting at guard rails, but the protection only served to cut off the view just a little more as they crept further and further along the trail.

The crags began to level out into steppes before them. Spread across the tiers of earth sat a village spotted with fields of wheat. Some of the buildings were hung from the boulders still firmly in their place, using the rock forms as support for the structures.

On one of the larger boulders, a large wooden structures spiraled around and around, pagoda looking buildings hanging out at intervals. Link could see Ritos and humans walking along the wooden walkways, completely ignoring the perilous drop beside them and unconcerned about how it seemed the building would fall over at any moment.

"So this is Tabanth?" Link asked as Zelda shivered under the cloak.

"Yes, and that terrifying building it their primary shopping district," Zelda answered, pointing at the large spiral building. "The Rito built it, and swear it's sound, but I have serious doubts about that."

"Have you been here before?"

"Yeah, but I was little the last time. Before the war...well, this war." Zelda pulled the cloak a little tighter around herself. "So maybe it's not so bad now. I'm taller and all now."

Link noted how tightly she was clutching the cloak now. There was definitely a bite in the air. He wouldn't mind pulling his own colder outfit. "We should get you some warmer clothes. Then news about Endeavor."

The princess didn't argue as they approached the central structure. Villagers paused to look at the two of them as they walked through the surface level portion of the town. Even with a cowl wrapped around her, Princess Zelda was still Princess Zelda. And Link was fairly iconic himself.

Taking a tenuous step, Link tested the structure's stability. It creaked, but held firm. Link took another step, another creaky, solid board greeting him. His pace quickened, the boards holding as he climbed the stairs up to the first level of the spire. Zelda squeaked a breath as she reached the level, steps behind him. Link paused, turning to see if she was alright. The princess blushed, closing the gap between them in two long strides, and linked their arms together.