P R O L O G U E

Prologue

YOU MAY CALL HER A MIRACLE CHILD.

Eleanor Young and Sir Philip Young did not expect for a night of sex would end with then having Valentina Cecily Young. As Catholics of course, an abortion was no option. So, there it was, nine months after, on November first, there came the beautiful Valentina.

Spoiled could be an understatement as to how the young girl was treated. Being the first and only daughter of Eleanor Young gave her numerous advantages. On her first birthday, the young heiress was given a jade encrusted rattle as of which was owned by a former sultana; Su Yi did have her connections. For her fifth birthday, it was celebrated with five diamond and jade matching necklaces for her and her dear porcelain doll Diana. For her thirteenth year, a slumber party full of caviar, gourmet pho, and truffle sandwiches in her grandmother's palace like mansion. In which she received her first kiss from her once friend Imelda Khan; because what more screams all girls school than getting your first kiss from your girl best friend. For her sweetest sixteen, Sir Philip Young bought an island specifically for his little girl as a birthday gift; in which she and her friends spent the weekend drinking Dom Pérignon and Möet while skinny dipping in the beach (it was an all girls outing, none of those filthy boys from high school were invited).

Nicholas Young however, could not have been more perplexed with the idea of Valentina Young. It was the worst for the twelve year-old boy as baby Valentina became the precious jade of the family; continuously spoiled with love and affection. She was a little ball of sunshine in Nicholas Young's eyes, and that ball of light continuously blinded him.

One look at sweet, sweet Valentina came along loving sighs as her full rosy cheeks and beautiful smile illuminated. With her being the new favorite, she became his constant hell, Because she just being her; picture-perfect. That all changed however when Colin Khoo, his best friend invited him to a party on a Thursday. Why must it be a Thursday? A weekday oh so close to a Friday. It was especially worse when he knew that his mother wanted a bible study session at their own home. He thought of such as utterly pointless when they'll be sinning right after with expensive red wine, and hours of non-stop gossiping. As good Catholics, they of course needed to pray with them for hours on end. He didn't need that hours of prayer, when he already had the angelus and the 3-o-clock prayer at school. Unbeknownst to him however, Valentina felt the same ; so, then and there, she came up with a plan to escape their monstrous mah fan aunts.

"Mother, would it be okay if I stayed in my room to rest? I'm afraid I might be feeling woozy- oof." Valentina sighed, or perhaps lied as she added a slight tilt of her posture backwards to add more gusto to the act.

"Eleanor you better watch out! I heard there has been viruses evolving nowadays." Felicity Leong drawled as she then also frantically sprayed alcohol on her hands to maybe somehow kill the non existent germs.

"Oh dear, yes. Please do rest before all of this becomes worse." Eleanor said to her dear daughter while she watches her sister in law ridiculously coat herself in the solution. It is much better perhaps to let her rest rather than let the woman die from asphyxiation from the fumes of the germ killer.

"Oh right! Mother, I do think you should have a look at Nicky too!"

In which as she sees her mother still preoccupied with her aunty Felicity did she quickly swiped her brothers legs in order for him to land on his bum.

"Mother! Oh look at Nicky!"

Nicky, now lying down at the marble tiles was he groaning in pain as he massaged his head.

"Aiyah! Both of you go to your rooms!" Screamed by Eleanor while she now ushers her two children out of the room as her sister-in-law and other aunts quickly sprayed the viruses in the room with their mighty alcohol and holy water.

And with that, they left the room to climb up the stairs to escape their aunties' presence.

"Thanks Valentina, surely my bum's bruised for all I know!" Nick whispered harshly as he catched up to his sister up the grand staircase.

"Is that how you're going to thank me?" Valentina now rolls her eyes at her brother, who was now gaping at her.

"Thank, you?"

"I'm six! Not Stupid. Now, do you want to go to Colin's or not? My bedroom window's the safest route out of the house. Trust me, I know. I've tried your window, and it's not exactly the best to be honest."

"How do I know you're not tricking me?"

Then and there with a groan she grabbed his hand and brought him to her room. Through the open window she shouted at the Gurkha situated below her window.

"Karun! Nicky's about to go down, cover for him will you?"

His stern expression then turned into a face of mischief as he brought out the ladder Valentina readied weeks before right below her window.

"I got that ladder when I told Ah Ma I wanted to go around the gardens at night. She knew mummy wouldn't want that, so she helped me sneak out." Su Yi always did have a sweet spot for her young granddaughter.

Nick, however just gaped at his sister as he struggled to get a word out of his mouth.

"Oh dear, thank me later. So, are you going out or not? Because I do want to brush Diana's hair now in peace." 

It was a start of a beautiful relationship indeed.