Chapter One

Chapter I
Goodbyes

VALENTINA WAS DAYDREAMING ONCE AGAIN

VALENTINA WAS DAYDREAMING ONCE AGAIN. In a few hours, she would be with her idiot brother in a whole other world. Not that she was unaccustomed to the western world — impossibly. Staying in a boarding school in the countryside of Scotland was enough; too Harry Potter-esque if you ask her. And along with that, the Girls Methodist Church School in bustling Singapore gave her enough snobby Asian for her whole lifetime.

Anyhow.

Looking at her specifically Prussian blue ceiling gave her too much to think about. It could be the waters she'll now see on the island of Manhattan. It could be the new dark starless skies she'll be seeing in New York. It could be the old blue neon lights of her favorite hawker in Lau Pa Sat. Or, it could be the fact that she may never see this same ceiling in a long, long time. Tyersall Park was and always be her home; no matter how much her mother needed to send her away.

Her now bare room only laid a four-poster bed in a middle of four walls. Her walk-in closet's been packed away yesterday and has already been mostly brought to New York. Thank God her brother promised her that they'll be staying in a good enough place before moving to the final brownstone that he got renovated. The place where they'll have their temporary residence? The Palace. Her mother apparently pulled some (maybe a lot of) strings in the real estate world, which granted them some prime New York space in such a short notice.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner; the Americans might say.

"Val?"

"Come in."

Then, she felt a weight lie down beside her on her mattress.

"You ready?"

She will always be thankful for the fact that she's going with Nicky; thankfully too without their mother. With that, she went to look at him to see his face worrisome, to say the least.

"I don't know if I'll ever be."

"You still have time to back out."

"You know that mum won't say yes to that."

"You've got me to back you up."

She went back to look at the ceiling with a deep breath.

"I love you Nicky."

"You're pretty great too."

"Way to kill the moment doofus."

"You know, we need to leave soon."

Looking at her golden watch, she notices that perhaps they do need to go; around an hour and a half until takeoff. Who cares anyway, their money can be considered as diplomatic in an airport. One could say they most probably won't need to go through the hustle and bustle of checking in and immigration.