Chapter Twenty-Three: A new kitten

*Chapter Twenty-Three: A new kitten*

"You are a horrible person for making me watch this," Alex hissed, getting even closer to Jace. He grinned, kissing her on the cheek. They were watching The Conjuring at Alex's house because Jace's parents didn't trust them without parental supervision and assumed Alex's parents were home. "I hate you," she mumbled. "Love you too, babe," he said, smirking. Just then, Alex's mom stormed into the house, holding a piece of paper in her hands. "Can you believe this shit?" she said to Alex, not seeming to notice Jace was there. "Your dad used our credit card to pay for a hotel room with one of his skanks!"

"Mom!" she exclaimed in shock. Jace grabbed her hand, rubbing the top of it comfortingly with his thumb. "I swear he just gets dumber and dumber by the day," she muttered, throwing the piece of paper onto the counter. "Um, Jace and I are going to go to the park," she said quickly, standing up and pulling Jace along with her. They walked all the way to the park with only Jace trying to make conversation a few times and it dying quickly.

When they got there, they climbed up to the highest part, a tower that had a swirly slide coming from it. "I never want to end up like them," she said finally. "If I ever get married... I can't end up hating and cheating on the person I'm with... I just can't be my parents..."

"And you won't be. I mean, looking at them, that's the worst case scenario. You're not going to make that mistake. And plus, whoever the lucky bastard that gets to marry you is, he'd be an idiot to cheat on you." She chuckled, pulling him in to kiss her. "God, how'd I get so lucky to have you?"

"Probably wishing and praying," he said, smirking. She laughed, kissing him on the cheek. "I love you," she muttered. As they started walking back to her house, they heard a meow coming from the bushes. They both jumped slightly, looking to see an orange kitten crawling out towards them. However, it was so dirty that they could barely tell it was orange and way too skinny. "Aw," Alex cooed as it walked right up to her and rubbed its head against her ankle. "It's so cute!" she exclaimed, bending down to pet the kitten. "Jace," she said, looking up and giving him puppy dog eyes. He groaned, "Babe, this is probably someone's cat. We can't just keep him!"

"Alright, alright, fine. But if we just leave him, he'll die! Can't we bring him home and feed him and bathe him and then put ads up that we found him?" He looked hesitant, but she gave him puppy dog eyes and he sighed, his resistance failing. "Fine. But Angie's allergic; we can't bring it to my house."

"Yay!" she exclaimed, kissing him on the cheek. "Thank you!" He smiled as she picked the kitten up, the thing looking happy just to be in someone's arms.

When they got to Alex's house, her mom's car was gone and her dad's was there. She didn't want to know how bad of a fight they got in. "Dad!" she yelled when they got inside. He came downstairs, looking slightly annoyed. "What's up- is that a cat?!"

"Yeah! I was wondering if he could stay here until his owner claims him... Please?" She gave her dad the same look she gave Jace, holding up the kitten for emphasis. "I don't think your mother will like it... So, you can keep it," he said. Alex grinned, looking up at Jace who just chuckled and shook his head. Alex's dad found cat food and liter from when they used to have a cat and Alex poured the kitten a bowl of food before doing anything else. He quickly gobbled the food up, looking content when he had finished with it.

"Now it's time for a bath!" she said excitedly, picking the cat up. A small smile crawled onto Jace's lips as he followed her upstairs and to the bathroom. The cat loved the bath, which Jace didn't get. "Aren't cats supposed to hate water?"

"Well if you were this filthy wouldn't you be happy to get a bath too?" she questioned him, putting a hand on her hip. He laughed, leaning down to kiss her. When they had washed and dried the kitten they found that without its hair all matted down it was quite fluffy. They fed the kitten again after bathing it and sat on the couch and watched as it explored. "It's so cute," Alex sighed again. Jace grinned, staring at his girlfriend, who seemed to be in love with the kitty that she just saved.

"I love you," he whispered and she grinned, wrapping her arms around his waist. "I love you too," she said quietly.