Chapter Four: Do I still have a nice butt?

*Chapter Four: Do I still have a nice butt?*

The next day at school, as soon as Caleb saw Alex, he laughed. She glared at him. “Shut up!” He raised his hands in mock surrender. “So are you going to talk to him today?”

“I’ve decided that if he wants to talk, we’ll talk. But I refuse to initiate the conversation with him.” Just then, she saw him. He was with a bunch of his friends, him and a girl named Amelia in the front and center. Alex suddenly felt a pang of guilt. He and Amelia were practically dating and everyone knew that! Why would she kiss him? She almost slammed her head into a locker but decided against it at last minute. She would probably get sent to a mental hospital.

Caleb and Jace opened their arms to hug each other as Alex stood back awkwardly. Normally they would take this opportunity to shoot sarcastic remarks at each other, but they avoided eye-contact. Suddenly, Drew came up to her and hugged her. She didn’t hug him back but she relaxed slightly at his hug. He gave the best hugs. She figured he knew what happened, Caleb probably told him. All too soon, he left and hugged Jace.

The rest of the seniors continued their conversation as if there weren’t three people in a group hugging. Alex had talked to Amelia a couple of times before, and she was really nice, which just made it worse. Amelia really liked Jace and Jace liked her. Hell, he walked her to class even when his class was on the other side of the school. Without warning, Alex left. Caleb and Drew were talking to the seniors anyways. Since her school was basically a big circle, she started walking around it, lost in thought. How could she just forget about Amelia? She felt like a huge slut. All of a sudden, she heard a growling noise behind her. She jumped and turned around. “CONNER?” she squealed, almost tackling the boy in a hug. Conner was two years older than her and had graduated the year before. They were sort of friends when she was in ninth grade and he was in eleventh but then they got really close the year before during the two plays and Drama II. They would text each other a lot but she hadn’t seen him since he left for college. “What are you doing here?”

“I thought I’d come visit. You guys are having musical tryouts today and I thought I’d come help.” Shit. With all that was going on she almost forgot about those. “Does that mean you’re helping for the whole thing?”

“Yeah, I’ll probably be able to come down on weekends and help with tech stuff and Saturday rehearsals! It was supposed to be a surprise but I couldn’t resist visiting my favorite eleventh grader named Alex!” She giggled. “You’re so politically correct. Does anyone else know you’re here?”

“No, I’m sneaky like that.” She grinned, hugging him again. They went into the old choir room because no one really went there in the mornings. She had twenty minutes before the bell rung so she figured she’d talk to Conner for nineteen minutes and then run to her first class. “So, what have I missed lately?”

“Oh, well Jace and Amelia are basically dating now…” Pretty much every theater geek knew each other. They were all nice to each other (not counting Jace and Alex of course). Conner smiled. “Oh yay, it’s good that kid’s finally getting some action, he deserves it. Do you still hate each other?”

“With a burning passion; except we kind of made out the other day.”

“HOLY SHIT PLOT TWIST!” She couldn’t help but smile at his outburst. “Okay, wait, what? How did this happen?”

“I don’t even know… One minute we were fighting and the next I was on the counter and we were making out!”

“Wow so he’s really getting some action… So are you, high-five!” He held up his hand, grinning big. She didn’t laugh. “Oh, come on! The last guy you dated was Gage and you didn’t hide how bad a kisser he was!” She huffed, high-fiving him. He smiled triumphantly. “So who else knows? Caleb, obviously.”

“Well… Caleb's and Jace’s mom… Yeah she kind of walked in on us, it was really awkward, let’s not talk about that… I think Drew knows because he came up and randomly hugged me today… And I don’t know if Jace told anybody. Probably not, he doesn’t want Amelia finding out, now does he?”

"That sounded bitter."                                                                                                                                                        

“No it didn’t! Shut up.” Conner smiled at her, wrapping an arm around her. He gave good hugs too because he had muscles and was big and warm. “Do I still have a nice butt?” he asked suddenly, trying to change the topic. She burst out laughing. The reason they started getting close was because she said he had a nice butt and he heard and teased her mercilessly for it. “Shut up…” she muttered, hitting his chest playfully. He smiled, pulling her closer and hugging her tightly. Suddenly, the door burst open. They didn’t have time to stop the hug, so two people walked in.

 “Wow what’s going on… CONNER?!” Of course, it had to be them. Amelia and Jace. The two people she wanted to see least.