Chapter Twelve: Alex was just plain

*Chapter Twelve: Alex was just plain*

She stood frozen, watching as Jace leaned down and pecked Amelia on the lips. "What are you looking at?" Caleb asked her. She blinked, coming out of her daze. "What? Oh, nothing, just staring off into space... I have to go to the bathroom..." He nodded, and she ran off, trying to hold back tears. She burst into the bathroom, happy that there wasn't anyone in there because it was so early in the morning. She looked at herself in the mirror, wiping away the few tears that did fall. "Stupid, stupid, stupid," she muttered, attempting to fix her smudged makeup. Of course he would pick Amelia over her. Amelia was beautiful, smart, nice, and funny. Alex was just plain.

She finally came out of the bathroom, when she had made herself look as normal as possible. She found Caleb, who was unfortunately walking with Jace, Amelia, and a few other seniors.

"Hey, let's go to class," she muttered, grabbing Caleb's arm and pulling him away. "What's wrong?" he asked, "And don't say nothing because I know it's something."

"It's nothing that you need to worry about, Caleb. My parents were fighting yesterday..." He sighed, wrapping his arms around her shoulders in a hug. "I'm sorry. You can come over anytime, you know that..."

"Yeah, I know..." she laughed. As soon as she pulled away from him, she ran into someone else. "Oh! I'm sorry!" they both said at the same time. She looked up and smiled. She knew who it was. His name was Miles. She had liked him from sixth to tenth grade until she got a boyfriend, but after she broke up with the guy she always kind of still had a thing for Miles. "Oh, hey Alex! How are you? I haven't talked to you in a long time!"

Out of the corner of her eye, Alex saw Caleb smirk and walk away. He, of course, knew about her thing for Miles. "I'm pretty good. How're you?"

"I'm alright. So I heard you got a lead in the musical this year."

"Yeah! It's so tiring though, my throat already hurts from all the singing..." He chuckled. "You know, we should really hang out sometime. That is, if you're not too busy, Miss Star..."

"Oh, maybe I'll be able to make some time for you." He grinned. "Alright, I'm expecting it..." He smiled, walking away backwards. "See you later..." As he was saying that, he ran into someone. "Oh, sorry man, I should've been watching where I was going."

"It's alright," an all too familiar voice said. Miles turned around and flashed one more brilliantly white smile, before walking away. Jace looked between them blankly for a minute, before his jaw tightened and he walked over to her. "Who the hell is that meat-head football player?"

"Okay, first of all, he's not a meat-head. Second of all, why do you care?"

"Because you're stupid! He's obviously just going to use you for sex."

"Isn't that what you did?" He huffed, running a hand through his hair. "You know what? I was trying to be nice and warn you. But whatever, you get your heart broken by that loser." Her fists involuntarily clenched, and before she could stop herself, she punched him in the chest. "How dare you, tell me someone is going to break my heart! I've known him since fifth grade and he's been a hell of a lot nicer than you've ever been!"

"And yet, who's the one that took your virginity?" She glared at him, before storming off. She knew that if she was there any longer she'd punch him in the face and then she'd be in trouble. She found Caleb and Drew so she walked over to them. "What's up buttercup?" Drew said. "What happened with Miles?" Caleb questioned.

"He said we should hang out sometime!" Caleb grinned. "Maybe you'll finally get some action!" She laughed, pushing him. "Shut up. I get more action than you and you know it." He just chuckled, and shook his head. The day was pretty normal, surprisingly. Alex avoided Jace for as long as she could, until play practice, where she managed not to slap him or burst into tears.

She went home, did her homework, and fell asleep, only hoping for a better tomorrow.