Chapter Eleven: We're so stupid

*Chapter Eleven: We're so stupid*

Alex sighed slightly as Jace traced random circles on her bare back. “We’re so stupid,” she whispered, feeling his finger stop on her back. “Yeah, I know we are… I mean, I like Amelia, but there’s just something about you…” She smiled, nuzzling his neck. “All I know is… I can’t be the other woman… Jace, I need you to pick…” He sighed, pulling her closer. “I know you do… I’ll have chosen by Monday, okay?”

She nodded, getting out of the bed to get her clothes. She thought Caleb might be waking up soon so she should get downstairs. “Goodnight, Jace,” she said, before leaning down and kissing his forehead. “Goodnight,” he mumbled, turning around to go to sleep. As soon as she got into the living room, Caleb stirred awake. “Aha, you’re up!” she grinned, sitting down in front of the movies. “Just in time for Grease!” He groaned, slumping down in his seat. She was in less pain this time, thankfully. She wasn’t limping and causing suspicion.

She made it all the way through Grease, singing very loudly to a very annoyed Caleb, and then halfway through The Little Mermaid, before falling asleep.

Alex woke up to the smell of bacon. She grinned, going into the kitchen. Their mom was making eggs, chocolate chip pancakes, bacon, and toast. She always went all out for breakfasts on the weekend, since there were usually five teenagers in the house, they had a daughter in seventh grade, Angie, too.

Lucas and Angie were sitting in the kitchen, stuffing their faces. Alex figured that Caleb had gone up to his room to sleep the night before. “Good morning, sweetie,” their mom, Kelli, said, smiling. “Want some breakfast?”

“Yes please, I’m starving.” She put a little bit of everything on the plate that Kelli handed her, and began eating. Soon Caleb came down, his hair sticking out everywhere. It reminded Alex of Jace, and she felt her heart drop to her stomach. What if he chose Amelia? She wouldn’t be able to look at him the same way again. She told him she wanted him to choose her. What if he broke her heart?

She was so deep in thought that she didn’t even know Jace had come down until he said, “Morning,” in an incredibly attractive morning voice. She looked up at him. His hair was sticking out everywhere too, which made him and Caleb look so alike, but still so much different.

“Morning,” she mumbled along with everyone else, even though it was almost noon. Jace sat across from Alex, finally looking at her for more than a passing glance. Her makeup had completely gone from sleep the night before, her hair was in a braid that was coming undone, and she was wearing his brother’s clothes, and yet she still looked beautiful. “Wow,” Caleb said, making Jace look away from Alex. “Two whole minutes and you guys haven’t said a word to each other? Are you sick?”

“No, I just don’t have the energy today,” Alex said, stifling a yawn. “It’s so peaceful!” Angie exclaimed. Alex smiled, taking a bite of her eggs. Jace reached across the table to steal a piece of her bacon, but stopped at her glare. “You touch my bacon and you lose a hand,” she threatened. He smirked. “I thought Frosted Flakes are your favorite food.”

“Yes, but I will still kill you over bacon.” He pulled his hand back finally, laughing. She was so small, he knew she couldn’t hurt him, but it was cute that she threatened it.

She finally went home that night after dinner after spending the whole day with the family. Jace, Caleb, Alex, and Lucas played a game of Sorry, which Angie claimed she was too cool for. Finally, Alex and Jace got too competitive and they had to put the Sorry board away. After that they had a tournament of Jenga, which Lucas became the champion of against Caleb.

Her smile lasted the whole car ride home. It was nice to go to their house over the weekends and have what was almost like a real family. Her house was silent, as usual. Both of her parents were gone, either at work or cheating on each other, she figured. Alex texted Drew for a while, before falling asleep. She was dreading Monday, when she would know who Jace chose.

That Monday, she walked into school slowly, the nerves creeping up on her. She stopped when she saw Jace and Caleb walking down the hallway. Caleb spotted her and waved her over. She grinned and started walking to them, but stopped in her tracks when she saw Amelia run up and hug Jace around the waist from behind. And then, he gave Alex a look that said it all.

 He didn’t choose her. He chose Amelia.