Chapter 2

I wince as I drag my eyes open, taking in the dark space I'm in; a plastic lined area, no windows, no doors, chains hang from the wall I am slumped against and I follow their links with my eyes; they end in cuffs secured around my ankles and a single thick band around my neck. I'm a prisoner and am seemingly the back of a vehicle, most likely the very vehicle I'd heard earlier today. At least I think that was today? I put that thought behind me and check for any injuries, wiggling my limbs from my feet up.

 I let out a sigh of relief, no broken bones, but a lot of bruises by the feel of it. Either way I have to get out of here. I reach my hands down towards my ankle, and feeling along the cold metal digging into my skin I attempt to prise my fingers underneath but wince as they scrape against the tender skin. I try a different tactic and try to locate some form of a door. Raking my eyes over the walls I search for a handle of any kind but to no avail, it must open only from the outside.

 My heart sinks dramatically in my chest as I render myself useless, I can't get myself out of this mess, I'll just have to wait for a chance. They can't leave me in here forever, they must have some kind of plan. I live on this hope, hope that an opportunity will arise. I decide that if one does show itself then I will be ready. So I begin to plan, they will have to open the door at some point in time, maybe I can take advantage of that.

I wake with a start, the air is filled with a rumbling and the truck is shaking, I must have fallen asleep at some point in time. As my mind catches up with my situation I realise that the truck is moving, I am being moved. 

Suddenly I let out a gasp, my family, they need me, what are they going to do, what am I going to do. I need to get out. I start screaming, knocking my body against the walls in an attempt to create as much noise as possible. 

The truck speeds up, throwing me against the wall as I slide on the smooth plastic. I stop screaming and resort to wrapping my arms around my head in an attempt to protect it from the sharp corners and bumps that the truck takes. My stomach dropping as I realise that I am being taken far away, we are travelling at a high speed and I don't know where I am. Nonetheless, I'll figure out how to get back to my family, eventually.

After a unpredictable amount of time, the truck begins to slow and with it, my hope begins to gain. I have no weapons but have decided that my teeth and nails should be enough, to at least give me a chance. 

The truck is soon at a crawl and I feel the wheels drop off the road, we are now on what feels like a worn dirt trail, not a good sign. Suddenly I become aware that I can hear voices, little fragments of conversation travel through the plastic seal I lean against. I strain my ears; they are whispering, probably to hide their words from me but I hear pieces anyway. 

"Restrain....and....open....quickly...cut...." 

Not enough to give me any clues on where I am or what is happening.

 "Pull up here" a gruff voice commands, not whispering anymore and I jump as the engine cuts off. 

Bite, scratch and run, bite, scratch and run... I repeat the plan in my head, struggling to keep my panic at bay, but it is not enough to stop my heart from pounding out of my chest.

 Doors slam, shaking the space I'm in and boots pound on dirt alongside the truck. I retreat to the farthest corner as the sounds reach the area behind the doors and locks slide and click. I will wait until they remove my restraints and then I will act.

The door is swung open quickly, throwing me off guard. Disorientated I blink my eyes in the sudden light. There is a struggle for a second as I realise one of the men has entered the space behind me. 

He grabs the back of my neck swiftly, and giving me no time to react, he pins me against the floor, trapping my arms underneath me. I grunt at the pain and kick my legs out, trying to find my target, but hands immediately latch around my ankles in iron grips and pin them too. I go limp. 

They relax their grips slightly before I hear a metallic sound and feel movement at my ankles. The cuffs that retrained my legs drop to the floor beside me and I wince as the air bites at my open cuts, hissing breaths between my teeth. "Use the chain" one of the men commands. 

The weight on my back disappears and I lay there in confusion. What about my neck cuff? My head is yanked up sharply in reply, and my eyes shoot to the metal band as I realise in shock that they intend to lead me by a chain, a lead. Another cruel tug at my throat urges me to move 

"C'mon!" A rough voice growls. In response I stiffen, my plan won't work, this wasn't supposed to happen. "Just Drag it" This time when the pressure returns it doesn't leave, instead it pulls my body along the plastic surface towards the waiting men, I drop my heels, trying to regain grip, but I am not fast enough and as the pressure doubles I am thrown out of the truck and into the dirt where I lay winded and gasping for breath.

Before I can recover a sharp kick is delivered to my side "Get up!" I struggle to my feet, my legs shaking as I am dragged forward, keeping my eyes down as I feel one of the men tapping something against the back of my legs. 

I glance up quickly, panicking as I spot the concrete building we are headed for. It looks like a prison, padlocks line the door and cages sit discarded around us. Sensing my apprehension the man behind me holds the instrument he has been tapping with against my hip, sending an electric current through my body. 

I yelp in shock and shoot forward, between the two guards in front. They turn sharply, one of them yanking my chain in the process, pulling me to the ground. I scramble back to my feet immediately, attempting to avoid another shock, but one comes anyway. 

This time I don't move, I just wait for him to remove it from my skin. Then I go with them quietly.