He shook his head. "Her dad's dead, Cree. She won't ever be okay. You know how she was with him. You have no idea how guilty she feels. She's going to need therapy to get through this, we can't do it all on our own."

I agreed. Troiann had been mean to Mr. Jackson for so long before finally letting him in, but I knew she loved him and I knew he knew she loved him.

"Cree," Marcus began, "let this be a lesson to you. Her parents were never on the same page. They put her through it and they loved each other, but they kept playing games, him more than her. You love my best friend and he loves you, I just need you to talk to him. Something's gotta give around here, because this shit is tough enough."

With Mr. Jackson gone, I hadn't given much thought to DeAndre or my heart. I guess I was just numb from all that.

"Marcus, that whole situation is tiring. I'm tired of chasing him and trying to be there."

Marcus smirked. "So only Cree Jacobs is allowed to be a stubborn pain in the ass?"

"I'm not stubborn," I argued.

"Yes, you are." From behind Marcus I found Troiann coming into the room. Her hair was in a messy bun and she wore one of Marcus's t-shirts with a pair of sweats. She'd barely gotten out of bed all week and I didn't blame her.

"Troy, come on, you should be in bed," I said.

She moved out of my way, not letting me touch her. She held up her hand. "Cree, just stop, okay? For once in your life, just listen. My daddy is dead, my mom has no one, she's only ever loved him and he died. They never got to be happy and if anything, this should teach us to take advantage of every moment. You love DeAndre, he loves you, so just snap out of it and quit wasting time."

I wanted to hold her when I saw her tears, but Marcus beat me to the punch.

"I deserve to have my way, and right now, I just want my best friend to be happy because you've been so miserable for so long. My mom and I'll be fine for the night, just go."

"You sure?" I asked.

Troiann wiped her eyes. "I just want my boyfriend to hold me. There's nothing you can really do for me. You've done enough and I love you, but you need to go."

Marcus looked to me and nodded. "I'll drive."

I looked to Troiann, seeing how I had no choice in the matter. I would go, but not without a hug goodbye.

Sensing it was coming, she met me halfway, clinging to me as I clung to her. "I love you," she said.

I felt tears rolling down my cheeks. "And I love you too, but I'm scared."

Troiann pulled back and wiped my eyes. "Don't be. The only person who should be afraid is DeAndre. If he breaks your heart I will load up my chopper and get my goons." She let out a dry laugh that was contagious.

I looked to Marcus, knowing that he'd take care of her. "Well, let's go."

I sat beside Marcus in his car staring up at the Parker estate. Neither of us had budged to get out of the car, let alone spoken since leaving Troiann's. My stomach was in knots and I had no clue what I was doing. I wanted to be independent and not chase boys who played games, but everyone I knew was pushing me towards DeAndre. He loved me yet his actions sucked. I tried being there for him and he shut me out. I couldn't deal. I just couldn't.

"He's never been in this position before. He's trying to be this great guy and leave you alone, but—"

"Don't," I said, cutting Marcus off, "don't make excuses for DeAndre. Just let me hear this from him. If he loves me, he'll tell me to my face, if not, I won't chase him."