{forty-five}

{forty-five}

                “How long has she been asleep for?” I distantly heard Declan ask. I was in that in between stage of half awake and half asleep. My mind was wide awake but my body was begging for more rest.

                “I got in around two in the morning last night. Her lamp was on but she was fast asleep. She hasn’t even moved.” Livvy replied in a hushed voice.

                “What time do you think she fell asleep?” Declan asked.

                “Well she texted me around eight at night saying she got in already. She must have fallen asleep around ten? She didn’t answer my text around midnight when I texted her I was a couple of hours away.”

                “So basically she’s been asleep for twenty-four hours?”

                “That’s what it looks like,” Livvy sighed. “Should we wake her?”

                “I’m not sure… she looks so peaceful.”

                I heard my dorm-mate snort out a laugh, “She looks like she partied all night, truthfully.  Damn, you got it bad, Royce.”

                “Shut up, Liv.”

                “Whatever. I’m late for my date.” I heard some shuffling before the door to our dorm opened. “Wake her ass up and make she sure she eats something. She looks sick.”

                When the door slammed shut, I heard Declan sigh before the edge of my bed shifted from the extra weight added.

                Over the fabric of my comforter, I felt his hand rest on my calf. With a slight shake, Declan leaned forward, “Aspen.” He whispered. “Wake up.”

                What felt like the first time in weeks, I stirred and buried my face deeper into my pillow. My body was sore from lying in the same position from hours on end and the slight movement felt as if I had gotten hit by a truck.

                Making some unknown noise in the back of my throat, I rolled over onto my stomach. Declan chuckled and moved higher up the bed so he was sitting by my stomach. “Wake up,” he repeated.

                “Mmmno.”

                I felt his hand slip around my waist and suddenly I was pulled into him. I felt his hot breath against the base of my ear, his touch sent warmth throughout my cold body.

                “I know you’re awake,” he whispered. “C’mon open your eyes.”

                “Let me sleep,” I mumbled.

                “You’ve been asleep for twenty-four hours.” Declan laughed.

                “Then let me sleep for another twenty-four hours.”

                Instead of a verbal response Declan kissed my exposed shoulder, my oversized T-Shirt hanging off my shoulder. Another kiss was placed higher and soon they traveled all my shoulder, neck, cheek up until the corner of my mouth.

                “C’mon, I haven’t seen you in a week and a half. I want to see your beautiful eyes.”

                I snorted out a laugh and shook my head, “Stop being cheesy.” I smiled, eyes still shut.

                “Are you hungry?” he asked.

                I shook my head but my stomach growled.

                Declan’s deep chuckle made the bed move.

                Moving away from him, I turned onto my side and slowly peeled my eyes open. His hazel eyes were the first thing I saw; his dark and shaggy hair the next thing to come into focus. I smiled.

                “Morning,” I mumbled.

                A smile broke across his face, “It’s nine at night.”

                “Morning for me,”

                Leaning down, Declan kissed the tip of my nose. “You’re cute.”

                I snorted, “I probably look like a mess.”

                “A hot mess,” he winked.

                I rolled my eyes and moved forward, “Lay down with me.”

                And he did. He kicked off his shoes, and climbed over me so his back was to the wall. The moment his arm wrapped around my waist and our legs were tangled together, I felt another wave of exhaustion take over. Last night had been the first time I had gotten more than a couple hours of sleep. I spent nights lying awake in bed thinking about everything in my life, the good and the bad.

                And although I had slept for twenty-four hours, wrapped up in Declan’s arms I still felt as if I could sleep for another few hours.

                “I’ve missed you this past week,” Declan whispered.

                I nodded and snuggled deeper into his embrace, “I’ve missed you as well.” And I had. I missed him like crazy. With him I wasn’t worried about my past. He wasn’t worried about me or how I was doing. He didn’t ask how I was holding up like everyone else I knew. He asked about my days, my course work, the latest book I was reading.

                It didn’t sound like much, but it was.

                I felt normal with him and I was afraid once I told him about my past, everything would change.

                I was afraid that I would never be able to feel normal.

                “He deserves to know,” my brother’s words echoed in my head. They bounced off the walls of my brain and rattled me deep to my core.

                So caught up in my own thoughts, I faintly felt Declan intertwine his fingers through mine and slowly bring up my arm. His cold lips pressed the top of my hand and before I had time to react he turned over my wrist. My baggy hoodie sleeve fell and revealed the white bandages.

                “Hey,” he said pushing himself up on his elbow. “What happened to you?”