{thirty-six}

{thirty-six}

                The moment my brother stepped out of my father’s truck, I threw open the front door and ran out to meet him. Ignoring the cold that bit at my cheeks, I ran down the driveway and jumped onto him. He wasn’t expecting me, he hadn’t seen me come out of the house since he was busy grabbing his bag out of the backseat.

                A deep chuckle escaped his lips seconds after I crashed into him. With my arms wrapped around him, he awkwardly maneuvered me so our chests were aligned. With my face in the crook of his neck, I closed my eyes and inhaled deeply.

                I had missed my brother’s familiar and safe scent. He was home to me. With him I felt safe, untouchable by the dark shadows that haunted me. Parker was my best friend, my older brother, my save haven.

                “I missed you so much,” I mumbled and his arms tightened around my waist.

                “As I missed you, baby sis.” He mumbled into my hair.

                He had been gone for a long time, the only communication we had been through letters and the occasional Skype session. Still, seeing him, hugging him, was what I missed the most. Parker and I had always been extremely close so when he left, that was another reason why I had been so quick to fall into old habits.

                “I’m here,” he whispered. “I’m back.”