Twenty Eight

TWENTY-EIGHT 

The day was here. I never knew that this day would happen. Eight years ago, I thought he and I would be together for eternity ...or at least until I scrapped up enough money for a new car. 

"You take care of him, all right?" I instructed Ben for the millionth time that hour. 

We were just outside my loft building as I said my farewells to him. It was just two days before the new year, but Ben was already leaving for California to start at his new college. I was overly proud of him, but sentimental at the same time. I would definitely miss him being only an hour away from me at all times. Although it was time for him to start a different part in his life.

"Make sure you change the oil every three months," I pondered over the statement for a moment. "At most four, if you can't help it."

Ben rolled his eyes and pulled me into his arms, blocking the whipping cold from my body. "Please, Ann, you're probably the only person in the whole entire world that goes by that rule. Most people change it once a year." He kissed the top of my head, sliding easily back into his brother-mood. "Thanks for handing the car to me. I'll keep it safe."

I smiled into his chest hugging him tighter. He made a stop in Seattle before continuing his road trip to the college down south. "Call me if you need anything, okay?"

He nodded and let me go. "I will." His expression hardened. "And you tell me if Caleb hurts you. I'll personally come up here myself and teach him a lesson or two."

It was my turn to roll my eyes. "Ben, honestly. I know you like him for me."

He groaned. "I do. Actually, I think I'd take him myself if I went for the other side."

I pushed him on the shoulder as we both laughed. "Go get in the car. You're already minutes behind your appointed departure time."

He smiled sincerely at me one more time. With one last hug and a kiss to the cheek, he slid into my- his car and drove off. I stayed outside until I couldn't see the vehicle anymore, and then I went back inside. Back inside the privacy of my own space, I started up my laptop.

A couple of weeks ago, I recently started online schooling to get my bachelors degree for architecture. It was more convenient for me at the moment. Afterwards, hopefully I could get licensed. It all seemed easy thinking about it, but I knew the challenges I would go through. One thing was for sure: I was not giving up.

I hadn't told anyone about this latest thing in my life. I didn't tell Ben, Em, and not even Caleb. I didn't want to seem as a failure anymore. What if nothing progresses from this? It was just too much embarrassment for me to take in. I wanted to be someone Caleb's family would eventually take a liking too. Their approval of me wasn't necessary, but I wanted to get along with them.

I spent most part of my free Sunday afternoon on my laptop. Caleb and I had been inseparable ever since he arrived back and most especially after the drama that escalated from his return. That was all behind us now, though. Liv wouldn't dare show her face after my little, defiant speech to her that morning. 

Therefore I was surprised to see my phone ringing with his name on the caller ID. After leaving his place this morning, I hadn't heard from him since. It was a surprise we went through hours without communicating after our renewed intensity into our relationship.

"What do you want, Mr. Wilkes?" I asked with a smile on my face.

"You in my bed again," he replied cheekily. 

"I'm afraid that can't happen. I have lots of things that need to be done today." I didn't elaborate further on what those things were. Sometimes, I day dreamed of the time when I would surprise him by telling him my accomplishment. "Did you need anything? Is everything okay?"