Eight

EIGHT

As the week passed by, it was the busiest we'd ever been. Apparently the vice-president of the company was visiting from London for his first time stepping foot in the company building on Friday. All the employees and staff were under high pressure and stress at getting everything ready and smooth for his visit. Therefore they ordered all the interns to do miscellaneous work.

I was in the elevator after delivering some reports to the finance department which was several floors down. 

"I want everyone to be working diligently when Mr. Geoff Bale comes to this floor!" Tanya, the assistant architect director, was yelling to the crowd of employees in the middle of a room. "Gertrude! For goodness' sake, can you please clean up your desk for just a few minutes?" Louisa's eyes zoned in to her next victim. "Oliver, Jeff. Did you finish the errands I set you to do and where's that other intern?"

"I'm here!" I spoke out loud joining Oliver who was towards the back. A few heads turned my way, and I could see their stressed faces. "Hey." I whispered to Oliver.

"I don't know why they're all stressing about the vice president coming," he mumbled under his breath, so only I could understand. "It's not like it's Parker Jenkins, the president, and one that I actually want to see in person because he is totally h-o-t hot.

I laughed silently. "I thought you already have another person in mind."

"Taylor's fun and all, but he's not the one."

"And Mister Jenkins can't be the one because he's married," I replied pinching his arm playfully. "Can't you just keep your head free of men for just once?"

"Ow!" He hissed jerking his arm away. "The question is, why don't you have any guy in mind?"

I stayed quiet after his rhetorical question and looked straight at Tanya, who was still giving orders at people who weren't even paying one bit of attention. Oliver was wrong. I did have a guy in mind. He weaved himself into my dreams when I was asleep or thoughts when I was awake. I doubted there was a minute that went by without him being in my mind. 

Caleb fucking Wilkes. 

Ever since the kiss we shared in his office Monday, we hadn't really talked about it or anything. He acted as if nothing happened, like the kiss only meant something to me. Maybe it was only a one-time thing for him but not for me. Whenever he would regard my presence, it would be something related to the internship and Oliver and Jeff would be there. 

Maybe his avoidance was because of that lady he went to lunch with on Monday. It didn't matter though. I just needed to put all my focus into this internship.

"Everyone! Get back to your places, and do something productive until Mr. Bale leaves! He's done making his rounds in private relations and is heading up to this floor soon."

Everyone scattered away from Tanya who could use a session at the spa to relieve her stress. In a way I felt bad for her. She was only the assistant, since Luis the director, wouldn't be coming back until a month or so. I followed Oliver back to our spots at the desks. 

"I heard from the other interns that Mr. Bale brought his son with him," Oliver informed me with a twinkle in his eyes. "He's rumoured to be a very eligible bachelor in London."

I shot my friend a sarcastic look. "Like I said, can't you just stop thinking about men for once?"

He looked offended. "I'm just trying to hook you up, Ann, honey. God knows you need a man."