Thirty

CHAPTER THIRTY 

Several days had passed since Caleb's car crash. Several days he'd been in a coma. Several days I'd lost without him. Several days where I didn't feel complete.

Without Em's constant presence, I would be a lost cause. She urged me to continue living each day as if it was just a normal day, continue living like the man I loved wasn't in a death or life situation. I did what she told me. I tried. I continued waking up each day, going to work, and making progress with the online classes I was taking.

I didn't want to be weak.

I had to be strong.

If not for me, then for Caleb. It was the least I could do for him. When he wakes up, I would want him to be proud of me. If he wakes up... 

I cleared that thought out of my head as I finished my third cup of coffee. I pushed the laptop away in front of me, not having the energy to carry on with the pages I had to read. My head glanced up at the clock. Nine fifteen. If I had it my way, I wouldn't be stuck in my dingy loft by myself. I would be right by Caleb's side through all this.

But there were factors that just made things complicated. First of all, I couldn't just drop everything I had going on. I was already risking my job at the restaurant. Although Caleb's family, specifically Sophia, was a hurdle I couldn't jump. Every time I would visit, she made it clear I wasn't wanted. I only relented to her wishes because of the fact that I didn't want to deepen the hostility she had towards me.

Nine at night was usually the time I would be at the hospital to see Caleb. Just thirty minutes before visiting hours were over. Thirty minutes each day I could have some time with him. It wasn't much, but I took what I could get.

However, tonight didn't seem like a good opportunity. There was an insane rainstorm going on outside, and I only had fifteen minutes in total to travel to the hospital, see him, and travel back home. There wasn't enough time.

Tomorrow morning, I will make up for it, I promised myself. 

I pulled my computed back closer to me and finished the last few pages of the lesson. Every time I immersed myself into this, I felt a sense of accomplishment. It was a step closer to achieving my dream for real this time.

I finished an hour later, but I didn't go to sleep until after midnight. This was the norm for me for the past week or so. My mind would only calm down after twisting and turning in my bed for a couple hours straight. On a good night, an hour.

The next morning, I woke up extra early to squeeze in a visit to Caleb's private hospital room, in courtesy of his parents. Em, unfortunately, had to go back to Olympia the day before, but I was grateful for the time she spent with me. She was a true friend.

After adding an extra step to my morning routine (which was feeding Marcus), I took the bus to the hospital. I scooped Marcus in to my place. It wasn't nice to just leave him be in Caleb's now-empty condo. Having the adorable bulldog around was helping me get through this. Anything of Caleb's was helping me. 

The bus rumbled to the closest bus stop near the hospital. I got out, tightening my jacket around me to block out the cold wind and light rain. I ran the half block to the hospital's entrance and shook my head of raindrops.

I practically could navigate to Caleb's room with my eyes closed. Two floors up, a left turn, and two right. Then I would be in the same room as him. I recognized some of the nurses as I passed them. I wished I didn't know all of this information. It wasn't something I wanted to have memorized. I wanted Caleb out of here. He didn't deserve to be here.