Two

TWO 

The alarm of the clock brought me out of my sleepy haze. I woke up a little while ago due to excitement of starting my first day as an intern. I slipped on my reading glasses and looked at the time.

Eight am. 

Internship started at exactly nine. I would have to get ready soon. My dearest friend, Emma Holtz, helped me shop for new attire. I slid the mirrored door open and rummaged through the hangers for an appropriate outfit. Seeing as today was the first day, I decided to dress up just a tiny bit. 

I went for a conservative, black dress that was hanging at the very end. I slipped it on, its material hugging my body close. The curves of my breast were more profound due to the tight fitting. I bought the dress last summer in the sales Nordstrom usually has. It was only logical that I gained a few pounds and didn't fit perfectly into it. 

I ate a quick breakfast of oatmeal and soon was on my way to the bus stop just a block away. I carried my heels in one hand as I ambled towards the approaching stop. I had on my flats for now. The sweltering heat of the sun was a surprise for this early. It wasn't always so sunny and warm in Washington. Especially in the mornings. 

By the time I got off the bus, I already had my heels on. I only had a few minutes until I would be considered late. I tried fast walking to the company building in sight heaving a sigh. I pressed a hand to my forehead, stopping a trail of sweat from ruining my makeup. I kept my purse close to me, away from the dangers of theft. It was where I kept all of my-

My sandals! 

I looked through my bag to see if I remembered to slip them on the bus as I changed footwear. I rummaged through it for a moment close to the road. I blew a stray hair in frustration. I must have forgotten it on the bus. 

I could always buy some new ones. They were getting pretty old and ratty anyways. I covered my eyes from the sun to see where exactly the entrance to the building was. I spotted the British Airways sign on a new, modern building. That had to be it.

I started to walk faster, longing for the air conditioned air to blast me in the face. Although a something entirely different hit me instead. It was amazing how I could go from dry and the next second dripping wet.

"Hey!" I exclaimed shocked. Oh this couldn't be happening right now! It just couldn't! 

I didn't have time to look around for the culprit and give him or her a piece of my mind or two. I only had minutes until the internship started, and I couldn't go in this state. I walked into the building keeping my head down low, not ready for the stares. 

I was absolutely humiliated. I ran towards the nearest restrooms I found, and grabbed tons of paper towels. I started to pat down the wet splotches and wring them out. As soon as I dried them in the best of my ability, it was when I headed towards the elevators I spotted on the way in. I would just have to go like this and hope for the best.

I stood in the corner of the small space, getting out of everyone's way. Come on. Hurry up. I mumbled under my breath. I tapped my fingers on the wall, desperate for the doors to stay closed and arrive on the twelfth floor. Just when the doors was about to close, an arm shot through the remaining space, and it opened again.

I groaned. "Will you hurry up?" I snapped.

I didn't realize I said that out loud with so much ferocity, and blushed in embarrassment when a few heads turned my way. The new passenger, a male, turned to look at me. He still had his sunglasses on inside the building.