Eighteen

EIGHTEEN

"It's a shame that Oliver quit."

It was yet another day of interning at British Airways, and ever since my good friend, Oliver, dropped out of the internship two weeks ago, it went by slow and boring. He was always there to lighten the mood and make the time go by faster.

"It is," I told Jeff with a sad smile who was walking along sides me to the elevator.

"He was my only other competitor in this," he mused, sort of mocking me. "Although now I guess he made it easier for me to attain this architect position." He flashed me one more condescending look before pivoting into the open elevator.

I was too shocked by his intended insult to move. Besides, I didn't want to be in the same room as him for any longer than needed. Deciding to just take the stairs for more exercise, I turned on my heel and walked to the end of the floor where the emergency staircase was located. It took me longer to reach the ground floor, but it didn't bother me one bit.

The day was just ending for some workers as well as the interns, and I had a very exciting thing to look forward to this afternoon. My best friend of all time, Em, was coming to visit me today on Friday along with her husband and only daughter. She said she had wonderful news to tell me and wanted to say it in person.

I waited out front for her and the familiar SUV she usually rode around in when she was with her new family. I received an earlier text from her saying they were only a few miles away. At last, I spotted the white vehicle coming up on the curb, and I eagerly half ran to it when the front passenger's door opened and out came my very beautiful friend.

"Ann!" She exclaimed meeting me halfway into a hug.

"Hi Em," I pulled away in laughter assessing my friend. "You're looking great."

She twirled around playfully for me. "I finally lost the post-baby weight, huh. Paul's liking the new look."

"Oh I bet he does."

She pulled me by my hand into the idling car by the curb. I got in after her, and the driver which turned out to be her husband, pulled away onto the busy street.

"Hey Paul," I greeted him from the backseat. "Thanks for picking me up."

"I really don't have a choice," he teased giving a pointed look at Em through the rear-view mirror. "How's the internship going for you? The building itself looks quite the spectacular company."

"It's going well," I told him putting on my seat belt in the middle. On the left of me was my sleeping niece, whom I kissed softly on the forehead. "Is Ben behaving properly? He better not be causing any trouble."

"Oh he's such an angel," Emma praised. "At least only the times we see him." A mischievous glint flitted through her eyes. "Who knows? He might be throwing parties on the nights we're gone. It's like old times, huh Ann?"

Instead of sharing her amusement, I said, "He better not. You guys are being too nice for letting him stay until the end of the year."

"Ann, he's like our brother too. Besides, Julia's been loving his presence. She has a new head with full hair to play with," she winked.

"Honey, I don't want to interrupt your conversation, but if you tell me where we're going, that'd be great." Paul interjected from the front.

"The mall, Paul! The one we always go to when we're in Seattle. My best friend and I are in dire need of a shopping therapy."

"Window shopping for me," I quipped with a smile. "Besides, I don't need new clothes. Although, I will help you shop. Like always, I'm the assistant."