Twenty Two

Twenty-Two 

The following morning, Caleb and I checked out of our hotel room, getting ready to leave San Francisco. We stood in the lobby saying goodbye to his family. It was hard for me being right there besides him, especially after what happened last night. I couldn't bring myself to face his mother and older sister in the eyes.

"Goodbye, Ann!" Selene squeezed me in her arms. For a petite frame like hers, she had a powerful strength in her hugs. She looked me in the eyes sincerely. "Thank you for coming last night. I hope you had fun despite other events happening."

I broke out into a small fit of laughter. "I did. Thank you, and congratulations again."

"Mum." Caleb called his mother who stood before us.

Sophia had an unpleasant look on her face with her arms crossed tightly in front of her chest. Selene, no doubt, took after her mother in physical appearances. Sophia's hair was bundled up in a tight bun on top of her head. Her entire appearance screamed intimidation. I willed myself to not flinch from her intense gaze lingering on me.

"Caleb, why must you leave early? Hasn't your temper subsided?" She had to tilt up her head to look at her son in the eyes. "We've only seen each other for less than two days in months and you're leaving!"

Caleb squeezed my hand in his. "Mother, of course my temper is gone, but my disappointment and anger at your words last night hasn't."

Sophia's jaw tightened. "The feeling is mutual then." She flashed me an icy glare that sent chills through my body. "I'm very disappointed in you, Caleb. I've raised you better than that."

There was no question to what disappointment she was referring to. Me.

"Thank you for inviting me, Sophia," I spoke up to break away the tension that was quickly building in the room. "It was a lovely party. I hope that the next time we meet, we'll be on better terms."

Her eyes zoned in on me. "If we meet again, and it was such an excellent party before you created such a ruckus." Heat rose up my neck at the reminder of my clumsiness yesterday.

"Caleb, Ann, car's ready." Drake appeared, his cheeks looking a rosy red of color from the cold. He assessed the conversation at hand and stepped back respectively.

"Bethany, let's go," Caleb announced nodding his head at Drake who took one of our small luggages. He pulled me right behind him as we walked towards the exit, not sparing his mother another glance her way. 

I turned around with an apologetic look on my face directed at his family. Selene and their father, Larry, had kind smiles and waved. Georgina and Sophia stood side by side looking furious as ever. I looked away and let Caleb pull me out and into the safety of the car. 

This time, Caleb took a seat besides me in the backseat, his arm comfortably around my shoulders. I leaned my head on his chest looking up at him with a smile. "Thank you for defending me." 

"Always," he said landing a kiss on the top of my head. He cleared his throat. "Straight to the airport, Drake."

He looked at us with through the rearview mirror, a knowing smile on his face. "I see you two have made me the driver."

I felt Caleb's chest moved as he chuckled. "I'll repay the favor next time."

The car ride was silent and smooth to the airport. The process to getting on our flight on time, however, was such a hassle due to the long very lengthy security check lines. It seemed like everyone was on their way back home after a vacation in San Francisco or leaving home to go on vacation.