Sixteen

SIXTEEN 

"Peyton!" I watched as Caleb scooped up the little boy in his arms. "You've grown up so big, haven't you little one?"

He kissed the boy's forehead lovingly as if he'd known him forever. He must have to have that look of pure joy on his face. Even he hasn't looked that happy with me, though I wasn't bitter about it. It was a kid!

 "I have Uncle Caleb!" Peyton squealed wiggling out his arms to get down. "I have to pee."

I couldn't help but laugh at his comment gaining the boy's attention drawn to me. He scrutinized me for a moment before crossing his legs and looking up at Caleb. 

"Peyton, what is it that I told you about announcing your needs?" The new voice belonged to an absolutely beautiful woman walking in with four others with her. 

The little boy sighed. "May I use the bathroom, Uncle Caleb?"

Caleb grinned and pointed him to the door all the way on the other side of the entire room. "Just over there, Peyton."

The boy zoomed off to the direction Caleb pointed too.

"Hi Uncle Caleb."

Another small boy walked up to him with a huge grin. 

"Luke, buddy!" He held out his hand for a high five. "I'm guessing you're too old for a hug?" 

"That boy won't even let his father kiss him good night," the man who had his arms preoccupied with a little girl stated with a smile.

"Luke, my angel, go hug your uncle."

He did so without further encouragement. "Sorry I missed your seventh birthday, buddy. To make up for it, I have presents for you."

His eyes lit up at the sound of presents. "It's okay. I forgive you."

Caleb patted him on the back before giving a man hug/handshake to the other man in the room. "How are you Parker? How's everything?" He cooed over the little girl in his arms who smiled giddily up at him.

Parker? Wasn't that his best friend and the owner of British Airways? The woman must be Eleanor! If I remembered correctly, she was the one who he tried to steal from his friend or something.

"Elle. Lovely to see you again," he hugged her with the bundled baby in her arms. "And this must be Howard. Hi there." 

Caleb's interactions with the kids were too sweet to watch. He was a natural among them. 

"Oh Caleb. I've missed seeing your smiling face around the house!" She exclaimed hugging him tightly to her. "I wished you'd come back."

"Sorry Elle," Caleb grinned apologetically, "but I don't want to go home just yet."

"Oh?" She looked quite offended. "And why is that?"

His eyes flicked over to me and beckoned for me to come over. With a shy look, I sidled up next to him in front of the gorgeous couple in front of us. Wow I wasn't even one to compare to Eleanor's stunning self. 

"Oh," she nodded slowly, a smile slowly sliding on her face. "Now I see why."

I held out my hand to shake hers. "I'm Bethany Bridges. It's a pleasure to finally be meeting you!"

She adjusted the baby on one arm and shook mine gently but firm. "Nice to meet you, Bethany. You must be the friend that Caleb wanted us to meet." A stab of pain shot through me as she called me just Caleb's friend.