~ Ch.8 ~

Jamie's POV

There was a painful silence for the last ten minutes that we were in this car together. My mind wandered back to Maya and why she just had mysteriously disappeared. Now I am letting a complete stranger drive me home. A hot sexy stranger, my mind had whispered to me. I played with the ends of my hair to distract myself from this silence. My eyes wandered to the radio and I moved forward to turn it on.

"Don't touch that," said Cayden firmly. I sighed as I retracted my hand and placed it on my lap. Looking to the side he was so focused on the road. I wondered how he could see me.

"Well the silence here is killing me," I huffed out sinking a little more into the car seat. His car was nice. A slightly aged pick up truck but was nice.

"That is not my fault," He said turning to look at me for a split second before turning his attention back on the road. My eyes were glued on the side of his face. Wanting to know more about him even though I barely know him.

"You are not much of a conversationalist are you," I asked. Which in response I got a shrug.

"Tell me something about yourself Mr.Black," I blurted out. My cheeks had heated up once I had said it.

"What do you want to know," he questioned as he turned the car into another lane on the road.

"Are you and Maya friends?"

"I guess you can say that." Silence filled the car again. Jamie let out a small chuckle before taking her phone out. Cayden raised an eyebrow as she was scrolling through her phone.

"Are you and Maya apart of some program? Like a commune? Strangers usually don't live amongst each other."

"We live in a community that was made up of a special community long ago. Are families were apart of it for so long that we have all stayed within it," he simply stated with a shrug of his shoulders.

Silence filled the car again. I got my phone out and chuckled a bit at the lack of our conversation. This had caused Cayden to raise an eyebrow as she was scrolling through her phone.

"What?"

"You are not much of a conversationalist are you?" She asked him with a small smile.

"What makes you say that?" He asked her smiling as his eyes were still on the road.

"You don't say much." There was another moment of silence between us before he had spoke up.

"What brought you to town? To live here? I have never seen you before. This place is not that big so I tend to remember all familiar faces," he added the last sentence awkwardly when he saw my face about the first part. Apart of my mind was saying that he was looking for me but it does make sense of what he is saying because this city really isn't all that big.

"I had moved here because I have recently lost my parents. We were never really close with another other of our family members so the system has made my siblings and I moved up here with my grandmother. Although I am of legal age, they still have some type of jurisdiction over my twin brother and I because we are still in highschool. Which kind of sucks but I couldn't leave my little sister behind. I didn't want her in an unknown town by herself with a grandmother that we barely knew. That would be careless of me to leave her behind to follow my own desires. Sorry I am all rambling about my life so dang much," I shyly said once I saw him turn to look at me. Like he was becoming so drawn in to what I had to say. I started to get lost in his eyes. It was like I was feeling a pull that was placing me into a trance.

"We're here," he said. I blinked to get myself out of my own head. I turned to look past him and noticed that we were at my own house. I blushed from realizing that he probably noticed me getting lost from looking at him. Wait. How did he know where I lived?

"How did you know where I lived," I asked, raising an eyebrow at him.

"Maya told me," I eyed him strangely but nodded my head nonetheless, accepting the answer. We got caught staring at each other again for a moment until I heard the door to my grandmother's house open. Her head peered out and her eyes made eye contact with mine. Her small body made its way out of the house and up to the car.

"Jamie? You are making it home pretty late young lady. What do you have to say for yourself," she inquired as she crossed her arms over her chest. I lowered my head apologetically.

"Sorry Grams," I murmured. I turned to Cayden.

"Thanks for the ride. I hope to see you again sometime. Good night," I said and then got out of the car. I walked over to my grandmother and she gave me a stern look.

"You go up on inside and get ready for bed right away young lady," she told me. Giving me no room to object. I nodded, turned one last time to Cayden to wave goodbye, and then made my way into the house.

Third POV

Once Jamie had made it inside the house, Mae had turned her eyes to Cayden. She had narrowed them as she walked closer to the car. Narrowing her eyes at the man.

"What business do you have with my granddaughter Mr.Black," she spat.

"Just giving her a ride home Mae. Being a good town resident. She was hanging around one of my own. Maya." The intimidating look that Mae was attempting to use had to affect on him because his face remained stone cold.

"Stay away from her."

"Not when she is in my territory. Plus I'm sure you know why I can't." Mae's eyes widened at his statement. Cayden started his truck up, getting ready to drive out of this tense situation.

"You mean...s-she is y-your--", Mae tried to get the words out but couldn't.

"Yes, she is." Cayden then drove off. Mae stood there speechless and scared for the future of her granddaughter.

Jamie's POV

I wondered why Gram's was still outside. I heard the front door open and then close. Then I heard footsteps going up stairs. She turned to my door, seeing that I was still awake. She gave me a small smile.

"Goodnight sweety," she said with a warm smile and then turned my light off. She closed my door. I laid down on my bed and tried to get comfortable to go back to sleep.

Drifting off to sleep was not easy. My mind wandered off to Cayden. A part of me was wanting to be near him. I was confused as to why when I barely know him. The feeling of exhaustion came easy after some time when I heard the sound of howling in the distance. For some strange reason it felt like it was reassuring me that I would see Cayden again. Feeling at peace with that I was able to close my eyes and find sleep.

Hey y'all,

I have finally found my will to write again. I am going to try and be frequent but I have a surgery coming up soon for my health. So...lets see how I can handle working with this. I had noticed that a lot of people think that I had abandoned Wattpad but have not. While I have been working through life and other problems I have been writing some chapters offline. I have also been taking down some changes that I will be making to all of my books, including this one.

Thank you all for reading and being so understanding. I truly appreciate it. If you have any questions then feel free to send me a message. Other than that have an awesome, blessed day my lovely people.

-Q.K.