34: The Date

"So, where are we going?" Annabella asked, holding on to Daveed's fingers as they walked to his car.

     "Um, I don't know... Fancy or just take out so we can go to Pippa's or my place and talk?"

     "Take our, please?"

      "Okay. McDonald's?"

     "Wendy's, maybe?"

     "Okay." Daveed opened Annabella's car door. She climbed in and Daveed shut the door behind her. He went to his side and got in, quickly fastening his seatbelt. He looked over to Annabella and grabbed her hand, seeing the fear in her eyes. "Hey, it's me driving. You trust me driving, remember? Take a deep breath. I'm right here."

     "Yeah." Annabella breathed deeply, staring at their hands as Daveed drove to Wendy's. She told him what she wanted and he ordered. He pulled out of the drive through.

     "My house or Pippa's?"

     "Yours. Pippa is having the party tonight."

     "Okay, doll." Daveed drove to his house, one block from Pippa and Annabella's house.

     "Come on. Oak might be inside, but he has most like just walked over to Pippa's."

     "We're that close?"

     "Oh, yes, we are." Daveed walked around the car, whistling the tune from Blow Us All Away.

     "Why the sad song?"

     "Everything is legal in New Jersey."

     "Too bad we're in New York." Annabella giggled, carrying the food into the house. "And this is a nice little house you have here."

     "Thanks. Don't mind the mess of blankets on the couch. It may or may not have an Okieriete in it."

      "I'm in the kitchen!" Oak yelled, making Annabella jump.

     "Get out of my house!" Daveed yelled, smiling at Annabella. "I have an important date tonight."

     "Anna!" Oak ran out of the kitchen, hugging Annabella tightly. Annabella squeaked, giggling. She hugged him back.

     "Hey, watch the hair! I have a date tonight." Annabella grinned. "I need to go call him. Have you called your date? If she doesn't come, it's going to be an awkward double date." Oak's jaw dropped. "So you two aren't..."

     "See, if you would go to the show that you have a large role in, you would know!" Daveed groaned. "Try asking Pippa." Oak left, and Daveed shut the door behind him. Annabella and Daveed walked to the bedroom, spreading the food into the bed. Annabella sat down on the left side, furthest from the door. Daveed sat on the right, turning to grab his food.

     "Talk to me, baby girl." Daveed said, handing her the chicken nuggets that she had ordered. Annabella put her feet up on the bed, slowly taking a bite.

     "The day I left Jon's after the fight and you dropped me off at Thayne's?" Daveed nodded in understanding. "I had just finished telling Pippa and Thayne about what had happened, why we had fought, then Jon showed up. I went out onto the porch to talk to him, and he forcefully kissed me. I stopped him, but he... his lips were on my lips, my cheeks, my neck, I can't forget it, no matter how much I try." Annabella cried softly.

    "I erased myself from the narratives." Annabella hid her face in her hands. "I'm so sorry, I didn't know what else to do. I was afraid you would hurt him, and even though he hurt me and I'm angry with him, he's still the first father figure I ever had, so it hurts to have this have happen."

     Daveed pulled Annabella into his arms. He rocked her gently until she fell asleep in his arms. He cleaned up the leftover food and put it in the fridge, then walked to his room, calling Pippa to have her come over and bring pajamas and an outfit for Annabella.